National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Semjénháza [¤]
Click to zoom

Semjénháza

(Zala County)

In sinister chief a detail of the Croatian flag is borne, a charge, which is a reference to the Croatian ethnic majority of the village. Below the flag motif the charge of a leafy tree is borne, a reference to the fact, that in the past the settlement was surrounded by deep forests. This is why in 1832 the village was called Erdősfa.

In sinister base the symbols of the settlement’s two brooks (Rigyác and Újkúti) are borne. The greater part of Semjénháza is situated between these two brooks. In dexter base the depiction of the local chapel is borne, which is considered the oldest building of the settlement. The chapel was built approximately one hundred years ago and this charge is also a reference to the religious devotedness of the settlement’s inhabitants, who are mostly Roman Catholics. Below the charge of the chapel a triple mound is borne, a reference to Semjénháza’s geographical location. The base of the shield is rounded.

Semjénháza is a settlement of mostly Croatian population. It is situated at a distance of 13 kilometres southwest of Nagykanizsa, and it is surrounded by undulating hills near the Principális canal and the Mura river. The village was built on a height flanked by the Rigyác and Újkúti brooks. The village houses are all clean and well-maintained, they make a good impression on visitors.

The settlement has for long been inhabited. Unique burial sites with urns have been unearthed in this area, relics, which go back to the Middle Copper Age. The first written mention of the settlement goes back to 1373 and the name of that period was Semyenfeulde, then in 1420 it was changed to Semyenhaza. These two names are structurally similar to each other and they both refer to the field or house of a person, called Semjén, or Simon. He was likely to have been the first settler in the area.

In the middle of the 16th century part of the settlement belonged to the estate of the castle of Kanizsa.

In the 17th century the area was sparsely populated and in the period of the Turkish Conquest the village got destroyed. When Kanizsa was liberated from the Turkish reign, the castle and its property were obtained by the members of the Nádasdy family. From 1723 onward the village was slowly resettled. Around 1750 the settlement was still repeatedly called ’Pustara’, a word, which refers to the mainly uninhabited nature of the settlement.

In 1778 Boldizsár Inkey was the local landlord. Semjénháza in this period had 211 Croatian speaking inhabitants. By 1789 the number of village inhabitants grew to 249.

From Semjénháza several people participated in the Revolution and War of Independence of 1848/49.

In 1857 fifty percent of the settlement’s fields were made up of ploughland and this proportion began to grow afterward, diminishing the area of nearby woods and pastures. In spite of this trend the village was called Erdősfa in 1859.

Following the agreement with the Habsburgs in 1867, a period of upheaval began, since local agricultural products, including corn, wheat and rye could easily be sold on the busy markets of Nagykanizsa. There were no job opportunities in the village, so many young people left and became household servants in houses of rich families elsewhere.

The first school of the settlement was opened in 1870 and this was the occasion when the one-time village inn was transformed into an educational institution. Local roaads were paved in 1935 and it brought a change into the life of the village.Before the second world war Semjénháza was part of one vast estate and animal husbandry, horse and pig breeding became the leading agricultural activities from the early 20th century onward. The local kindergarten was established in 1942.

Following the second world war the village people erected a war memorial, which commemorates the names of those inhabitants who died in the two world wars. (There were 22 local victims in the first world war, and 23 in the second.)

In 1948 a seven-classroom new school began to operate at Semjénháza. The Village Cultural Centre was established in 1994, and this institution caters for the cultural needs of inhabitants.

The Sports Club features a popular football team, which is financially supported by the local government. In 1995 a new football field was inaugurated in the village and the team often plays here first league matches.

The roadside crosses of the village are also noteworthy, as well as the small belfry, the crucifix of 1916 and the wine press houses on the hillside. The most important local festival at Semjénháza is related to the Village Day, which is celebrated annually on Whit Sunday.