National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Sárszentmihály
Click to zoom

Sárszentmihály

(Fejér County)

The name “Szentmihály” refers to the church built by the village for the honour of Saint Michael archangel, the distinctive Sár-preposition refers to Sárrét, Sárvíz. (Csánki)

The Shield of the Coat of Arms

Rectangular shield, pointed base, party per pale.

The dexter field gules.

The sinister field azure.

In dexter field gules the symbols, three waves argent symbolize the Gaja-creek, Nádor-chanel and the Malom-chanel, which run across the village.

According to the rules of heraldic, in dexter filed the face bears metal.

In sinister field azure, Michael archangel’s fight with the dragon can be seen according to the miniature of the Apocalypse-script of Bramberg. Apostle Saint John calls Michael archangel the beater of Satan in the Apocalypse. In this picture the dragon symbolizes Satan.

In the field azure halo or above saint Michael’s head, his hair sable.

In his face the line of the braws, eyes and mouth are recognisable. The wings argent, tinged with sable. The clothing argent (white).

On sinister shoulder cloak gules tinged with sable.

In sinister hand leader shield sable. With his dexter hand he is stabbing a spear or into the dragons throat. In the representation of the archangel, the uncovered body parts are coloured light, gules. The basic colour of the dragon vert, the representation of the inner lines of the body sable, the tong hanging out of its throat gules.

The shield is surrounded by mantles or-azure, or-gules.

The 1000 years old Sárszentmihály

The settlement is to the northwest from Székesfehérvár, it lies on the right bank of the Sárvízi-channel, its population is 2679 people, it is a settlement of ribbon allotments with many streets 112 metres above sea level. Sárpentele, which was attached to the village, is on the left side of the Sárvíz valley.

The origin of the village dates back to the time of the Hungarian conquest. Its original name was Keér, from the name of part of the Keér tribe, who settled here during the Hungarian conquest.

Writings from the archives and human bones, pottery from the Roman era found during excavations in the village, prove that the settlement could exist even two or three hundred years earlier.

During the foundation of the Christian kingdom, it started the foundation of new organizations, counties and episcopates. In the certificate of the Episcopate of Veszprém from 1002 Keér village is mentioned. In 1002, Saint Stephen granted the settlement to the Episcopate of Veszprém. The serves paid tenth to their lords and the Church and did forced labour.

The invasion of the Tartars affected the settlement as well, the people escaped to the swampy area of Sárrét, the ones who did not escape were sabered by the Tartars.

The name of the settlement as Zent-Mihal appeared in 1436, proved by the record of the census in 1438. Keér was then the land of the provost of Fehérvár where the Saint Michael church stood. But at that time people started calling it Szent-Mihály, referring to the church built for the honour of Saint Michael archangel.

Later when the chapter was destroyed, Szent-Mihály, with all the chapter-lands was attached to Palotavára.

Under the Turkish subjection Szentmihály soon became the new lords’ property because of the nearness of Fehérvár and it paid tax to the Turks.

Since the spreading of the Reformation (1567) and its development into a Church took place in the Turkish-era, the congregation existed under the Turkish rule as well, according to tradition. The Calvinists bought their church from the Turks for 40 Forints.

The settlement was granted by Ferdinand III to lord István Zichy and his wife Mária Baranyai and their descendants. Since then it has been the land of the Zichy-clan up until 1930. On the land, lord Jenő Zichy, who was born in the village did an unparalleled farming. After the years following 1848, he is a congressman, from 1860 he is the chief deputy sheriff of the district. A parkland, which still exists, was named after him Zichy-parkland in Székesfehérvár.

In the 18th century, the settlements surrounding Szentmihály – Pentele, Úrhida, Kiskeszi – the Vörös family owned from Farád. The lord of Sárvár and Felsővidék, Lajos Széchenyi bought Pentele from the Vörös family in 1826 and it belonged to lord Viktor Széchenyi until 1945.

The name of the village was changed from Szentmihály to Sárszentmihály in 1898, probably the Sár prefix came from the Sárvíz-sárrét name.

Baron József Szterényi owned the Zichy-lands from 1930 to 1945. After 1945 it was parcelled out, just like the other large estates.

The two World wars came hard on the inhabitants of the village. In the First World War 700 people were filed in, 71 were killed in action.

In the Second World War 28 civilians and 39 soldiers died.

In 1948 the schools are socialized. In 1949 the system of local governments is terminated and replaced by the system of councils.

On 11 October 1950 the Committee of the Popular Front suggested that the name of the village should be changed to “Mihály falva”, but it did not take place, we do not know why.

The village operates in the same council system with Sárkeszi until October 1990, when the system of councils is deleted and a system of local governments comes into being again at both settlements.