National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Sárszentágota [¤]
Click to zoom

Sárszentágota

(Fejér County)

The settlement’s coat-of-arms can be described as follows:

Tripartite spade shield erect, its base curved to a point. Upper dexter field vert, an avocet argent(white) and sable(black) is borne in it. Upper sinister field gules, a sheaf of wheat or is borne in it encouped. In the tent-shaped field azure the building of a church argent(white) and gules(red) is issuing from a mound vert. The charge represents the local church, which was rebuilt after the expulsion of the Turks. Shield is enframed by leaved oak branches on both sides. Underneath the inscription SÁRSZENTÁGOTA is borne.

A brief history of the settlement:

While the eastern part of the settlement’s administrative area lies in the Central Mezőföld region, the western part is located in the Sárvíz Valley. Sárszentágota is situated at 103-109 metres above sea level.

The settlement’s natural geographical characteristics are mostly determined by the Sárvíz Canal (formerly called Nádor Canal) and the nearby saline ponds. Its soil is mainly sandy clay earth. In earlier times it was mostly these characteristics which determined the emergence of human settlements in the area.

The one-time swamps and marshes are a cultivated area today. Chamomile, turf and different species of paniculate grass grow on the banks of the saline ponds. Sárszentágota’s environs are part of a nature conservation area. Several ornithologists worked and are still working here to study the various species of birds, which nest permanently or stay only temporarily in this area during migration. The number of the species of birds permanently nesting in the vicinity of the settlement is 59, the number of migrating species is 45. It is since the end of the 19th century that specialists have systematically been studying the flora and avifauna of this area.

Historians, archeologists and specialists of regional history have also worked in the vicinity of Sárszentágota. The most significant archeological artefact from the Neolithic period was found during local excavations and is now exhibited in the Museum of King St Stephen.

Transdanubia, where Sárszentágota is located, became part of the Roman Empire and it was named Pannonia. Preceding the period of the Roman Conquest local merchants had also had commercial links with some Celtic tribes.

Since the region of Tác lay at Roman crossroads and the Sárvíz itself was a river crossing point, the Romans considered the place of strategic importance and a cavalry unit of 500 mounted warriors was stationed here. The settlement later got the Roman name of Gorsium and as the sub-emperor’s seat it played a significant role in the Roman-age history of the country. Since the area of present-day Sárszentágota is near to Tác-Gorsium, some Roman sentinels and other soldiers were posted in this village, too. It is a well known fact from the history of the Roman Empire that the conquerors succeeded in building out a significant signalling system along the Danube by erecting signalling mounds, from the top of which they used light and smoke signals to inform each other about the position of barbarian tribes and of other ethnic groups which they supposed intended to invade the area. Such a signalling mound was to be found at Sárszentágota, on the top of which a Catholic Church was built in the Middle Ages. At nearby Sárkeresztúr, at a distance of a few metres from trunk road No. 63, a Roman burial mound is to be found. The majority of these mounds have disappeared and they are not marked today.

A tombstone from the 2nd century is one of the most important archeological finds going back to the Roman period. This stone was transferred to the Museum of King St Stephen by archeologist György Csukás. Formerly the tombstone had been on display in the local primary school.

It was also the same archeologist who found out that the nearby hill was actually a burial mound and he discovered there graves with scattered ashes. He discovered round areas here which were filled with ashes, a fact, which meant that the Romans did not use urns to bury human ashes in.

The Celtic population got assimilated, got Romanised. After 433 the Romans gave the area over to the new conquerors, Attila’s Huns. In the following century the settlement was conquered by various migrating peoples, Germans, Goths, Longobards and other ethnic groups, who were all on their way toward Italy.

The Hungarians appeared in the area in the 10th century and later they were joined by a large number of Pechenegs. It was along the Sárvíz that the so called Pecheneg district came into being. This district was later to cover the area from Aba to as far as the settlements of northern Tolna. The most important settlements with the largest number of Pecheneg population were Szentágota and Töbörzsök. The settlement was likely to have received the name Szentágota after the Hungarian Conquest, in the period when the population was already converted to Christianity. The local inhabitants built a church in the village and they also named its patron saint.

It was in 1973, when the local kindergarten was being constructed, that archeologist György Csukás led excavations on the site of the local primary school and kindergarten and he unearthed a burial place here which goes back to the first century after the Hungarian Conquest. The finds, including some decorative objects and bones, reveal that this site was used as burial place before or around the adoption of Christianity in Hungary. According to contemporary customs the whole cemetery was hallowed by a priest. The Pechenegs established very close and good contacts with the local inhabitants; the Hungarians owned and cultivated their fields on the islands along the Sárvíz and the Pechenegs grazed their cattle on the nearby swampy pastures. The Pechenegs were mounted warriors, so they served the Prince. Thus it was customary that they settled down in the vicinity and near the centre of the prince’s estate. In contemporary Hungary the number of smaller or larger Pecheneg settlements was about 150. They had two bailiffs, one of these lived at Sárszentágota.

It was the Pecheneg family of Porkolábs that had a property of considerable size at Szentágota. The 16th deputy bailiff of Fejér County was János Besenyő Szentágotai. The reign of King Andrew I was a golden age in the history of the Pecheneg settlement, but later, when the Cumanians appeared in the region and they established their own administrative centres, the significance of Szentágota began to decrease. In the period preceding the Turkish Conquest the customs and the language of the Pechenegs were slowly forgotten and Pecheneg names got Christianised. It was in this period that names like Tudbeyg’s son Ilbeyg were used at Szentágota.

The first written document referring to the existence of the settlement was a Latin one, dated 1334 and it mentioned the settlement as Sancta Agatha. In the period of the Turkish Conquest the settlement went into the possession of the Turkish governor of Simontornya and it was also him who drew all the profits from it. The system of dual taxation was well known at Szentágotha as well. In 1546 and in 1552 the settlement was registered by the Turks as a depopulated place where ’no tax payers dwelt’ and they added that its fields were cultivated by people who lived in the neighbouring villages. In 1565 the village population consisted of the members of six families. It is worth mentioning that during the Turkish Conquest local inhabitants were likely to have resisted the invaders. This resistance can be concluded from the fact that during the construction of the local church a huge mass grave was discovered, the origin of which dates back to the early years of the Turkish Conquest. Between 1582 and 1590 there are 11 families living permanently at Szentágota, and then in 1617 it was once again mentioned as an uninhabited settlement. It can be concluded from these facts that local inhabitants must have hidden in the swamps to avoid the misery of the double taxation.

Several nearby settlements got swept away in the storms of history, including Káld, Gerény and Rekesztő. But Szentágota managed to survive: the settlement’s name has been preserved and the village has permanently been settled. It was in 1690, after the Turkish Conquest that settlers in large numbers began to move to Szentágota. The family of the Besenyő Porkolábs died out, so the court bestowed the settlement upon provost Ferenc Gorup, who transferred it to the Jesuits who arrived in groups together with the liberating army in and after 1688. Szilfamajor, Gardamajor, Középmajor were also parts of the settlement. From 1773-1774 onwards workers of these farmsteads deservedly received building sites and ploughlands in return for their hard work. They were not serfs, but they were – using foreign terminology - the so-called grationalists.

When the religious order of the Jesuits got dissolved the estate went into the possesssion of the Roman Catholic Religious and Educational Fund.

The fields were cultivated by leaseholders, the most signifivant of which include Sebestyén Hiemer, the Ullmann brothers, György Kégl, Gustav Leopold. The best known person was György Kégl Csalai who had made a donation of 200 thousand golden crowns and thus he contributed to the construction of the hospital named after Saint George.

In 1858 after the abolition of serfdom farmers generally received 420 acres, while the penniless villeins got 11 hectares. It was also in this period that the local inhabitants established their self government and they elected their judge and the body of local representatives. The tasks of the notary were fulfilled by a person from the district of Sárkeresztúr. From the 1920s onward the fields of the estate got distributed among small leaseholders, many of whom later- owing to the consequences of the worldwide Great Depression- went bankrupt and lost all their investments. These people were soon to leave the village.

Permanent education has been there in the village from 1810 onwards. The originally one-person school expanded and the number of teachers and subject teachers has also considerably increased.

The village received its name in 1898. It was in 1922 that Sárszentágota was given its present-day name, then in 1922 it was turned into a notarial district. In 1926 the new village hall was completed, then in 1928 the new school building was completed. It was in 1975 that the new kindergarten was constructed. An independent self-government functioned in the village until as late as 1978, then when Sárszentágota and Sárkeresztúr were ’married’, it ceased to exist. In 1946 regional development was completed on the site. Szilvamajor and Gardamajor were united with Nagylók, and Középmajor disappeared as an independent settlement. Felsőkörtvélyes and Felsőtöbörzsök got united with Szentágota. Felsőtöbörzsök ceased to function as an administrative and economic centre, the settlement got depopulated, its buildings were pulled down.