National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Township of Sárrétudvari [¤]
Click to zoom

Sárrétudvari

(Hajdú-Bihar County)

Shield erect and party per fess. In base vert a ploughshare argent is borne, with its edge turning upwards and pointing toward the dexter. In chief azure a horseman is riding his horse, holding an unsheathed scimitar. Horseman is habited a vest or, trousers gules, boots or and scimitar argent. The horse is tinctured proper (brown). Shield is topped by an open military helm and a nobilary crown, as crest adorned with three ears of corn. Mantling: azure and or on the dexter side; gules and argent on the sinister side.

The geographical location of the settlement can be described as follows:

Sárrétudvari is located in the southern part of Hajdú-Bihar County, in the area called Nagysárrét. It can be found at a distance of 50 kilometres southwest of Debrecen and it is accessible both on road and by rail from the direction of Püspökladány-Szeghalom.

Statistical data:

The type of settlement: township. Characteristic features: agricultural

Area: 54,42 square kilometres

Number of inhabitants: 3120

The history of the settlement can be briefly described as follows:

In the Registry of Várad of 1214-1229 the typical geographical name Udvari was recorded on five occasions. Today Sárrétudvari is the only settlement, which has preserved this old name. The inhabitants of Udvari were converted to Calvinism in the 16th centurry.The only Calvinist church of the settlement was built in 1613 and later, in 1767 it got enlarged.

The number of the inhabitants of Udvari increased rapidly in the 18th century and the local people were all Hungarians. The village authorities in 1892 elected Lajos Kossuth, in 1893 Mór Jókai as honorary citizens of the settlement.

A cemetery from the period of the Hungarian Conquest was unearthed by archeologists at Őrhalom of Hízóföld.

The sights of the settlement :

The Calvinist church of 1613 is a listed building. Its churchyard features memorial statues. In the Main Square a Millenial Sculpture Garden can be found, which features the statues of Lajos Kossuth, István Széchenyi and the bust of Sándor Petőfi. The house and the bust of the poet Imre Nagy can also be found in Sárrétudvari. Visitors to the settlement can see the permanent exhibition of the works of art of sculptor Lajos Cséri. Other exhibitions of Sárrétudvari include the collection of the local history museum, the memorial room, which features the history of the 130-year old Village Choir (80 Kossuth Street) and the exhibition of Erzsébet Madarné_Szőke, husks artist. (59 Rákóczi Street). Modern buildings of Sárrétudvari include the settlement’s telecommunications centre (93 Kossuth Street) and the Leisure Centre with a fishing pond.