National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Sárisáp [¤]
Click to zoom

Sárisáp

(The County of Komárom-Esztergom)

When Sárisáp's coat-of-arms was designed, the data from the settlement's historical past, the descriptions of local historians concerning the village's recent past, the related emblems and heraldic charges, as well as the several-century-long Hungarian traditions of heraldry and its contemporary practice were all considered.

The historical past

The village of Sárisáp and its environs have been inhabited since prehistoric times. The presence of a number of peoples in the region can be proved by archeological finds from the period of the Great Migration. The first known settlement here was founded by the Romans by the name of Quadriburg. This can be proved by an old Christian burial chapel unearthed in 1926, and a number of artefacts excavated from it.

The first written mention in the form of Sapy goes back to the year 1181. In 1261 the settlement's name appeared as Sap, then in 1275 as Saap. Later the compound Sari-Sáp or Sári Sáp came into use. From the early 18th century the settlement has been referred to as Sárisáp. The anterior constituent 'Sári' probably comes from the medieval name of Öregárok. According to Anonymus, chronicler of King Béla IV, Sáp used to be the possession of the Baár-Kalán clan, the descendants of Chief Ond. During the reign of the Árpád dynasty there were three settlements to be found on the site of present-day Sárisáp: Ugan, Kövi and Sárisáp.

During the Mongol invasion and the Turkish occupation of Hungary the majority of the settlement's population either died or fled. From the 17th century onwards the Sándor family of counts became the landowners, whose primary goal was to resettle the devastated villages.

The first wave of resettling was initiated by Count Menyhért Sándor, who invited Slovak cotters from the counties of Trencsén and Nyitra. This first wave was later followed by many, due to the epidemics of cholera, which struck the region repeatedly.

The village's Roman Catholic church was built in 1766 to commemorate Prince St. Imre. It was at the end of the 18th century that brown coal was discovered in the region - a resource that later changed the life of the residents, who had made their living out of agriculture until that time.

Coal mining remained an important economic activity for two centuries. Since the mines were closed down in 1987, the inhabitants have again been employed in agriculture, or they take various jobs nearby.

Agriculture, which has always played an important role in the past and in the present alike, got symbolically represented on the village's 18th century seal as well: the motives include a ploughshare, an ear of wheat, a hook for cutting vine shoots and a pheasant's eye, a spring flower.

The design of the coat-of-arms was based on the following major considerations:

1. The presence of the Romans, and the first important settlement called Quadriburg founded by them.

2. The first written mention of the name of the village from 1181, from the Árpád age.

3. Agriculture - an activity emblazoned on the 18th century seal, still playing an important role.

4. Coal-mining, cultivated for almost two centuries.

Based on the above considerations, the coat-of-arms took shape in a heater with gently sloping sides and a pointed base, the most usual form of shield in Hungarian heraldry. The field is party per cross.

The blazonry on the shield includes the following charges:

1. The Romans and the settlement Quadriburg, which they founded, are represented by alucerna or with a flame gules. The handle is ensigned with the monogram of Christ, a standard motif of old Christian representations. In addition, it also symbolises the Roman Catholic faith followed by the great majority of the villagers. The burning flame of the lucerna is meant to express the village's continuous revival and desire to live. The lucerna is borne in the upper dexter field azure.

2. The upper sinister field bears a charge barry of five gules and argent, resembling the coat-of-arms of the Árpád kings, as a reference to the first mention of the village from 1181. (The shield barry of seven is to be found in the armorial bearings of the nearby town Esztergom.)

3. The lower dexter field bears the traditional colours and charges of mining, as a reference to the nearly two hundred years' history of mining in the village. In the field gules the emblem of miners, the wedge and the hammer are borne, both sable.

4. The lower sinister field azure bears an ear of wheat or. This ancient symbol is meant to express agricultural activity in the past and present, as well as eternal life and the settlement's historical continuity.

The tinctures azure, gules and argent (the colours light blue, red and silver) in the fields of the coat-of-arms refer to the Slovaks, who represent a considerable part of the village population. Moreover, the colours also bear reference to those relatives of theirs who resettled in Slovakia in 1946. (It is to be noted that the colours are identical with the national colours of the new Republic of Slovakia.)

Above the top the shield is complemented with a five-pointed crown verdured or, whereas under the shield the scroll azure bears the name of the village, the date of its first mention (1181), and the year of inauguration (1997), all in majuscules or. (Version No. 1)