National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Sárfimizdó [¤]
Click to zoom

Sárfimizdó

(Vas County)

Sárfimizdó is an old settlement in Hungary; it was first mentioned in writing in as early as 1405.

There is no clear evidence concerning the use of a coated seal in the Middle Ages by the inhabitants of the settlement and no trace of a seal has been found in the documents from the reign of Empress Maria Theresa and Emperor Joseph II either.

The first coated seal of the village of Sárfmizdó can be related to the creation of the certified map of the settlement in 1857. (See Appendix 1).

The oval-shaped seal print sized 26x28 mm was likely to have been put into use in the Reform Era of the early 19th century. In the middle of the seal inscribed SÁRFI MIZDÓ HELYSÉG PECSÉTJE a vambraced arm was borne as main charge and it was holding a scimitar. Above it a verdured crown was borne. (Appendix 2).

The use of these symbols was completely in accordance with the legal position of a contemporary settlement, inhabited by members of the lower nobility. The nobiliary crown was a reference to the social class of the lower nobility, while the scimitar and the vambraced arm symbolised the fact that noblemen of the time paid taxes by doing military service and shedding their blood, too. The above mentioned charges were commonly used when designing seal prints by several communities of the lower nobility at the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries.

The original seal print was for some not clearly identifiable reason redesigned and recarved in the early 1870s and it was slightly altered, too. The new seal can be identified on a document of 1876. Its diametre is 26 mm and its inscription is worded SÁRFI MIZDAI KÖZSÉG. The central charge, the vambraced arm, holding a scimitar is leaning to a pulpit in it. (Appendix 3). The original seal can be seen in the Savaria Museum of Szombathely today. (Appendix 4).

In 1907, when the work of the registraton of settlements was completed in Vas County, each village had its new seal carved. Sárfimizdó was a rare example of those villages, which kept their traditional emblems. The seal, inscribed VASVÁRMEGYE SÁRFIMIZDÓ KÖZSÉG 1907, featured a red shield in which a scimitar holding vambraced arm and a nobiliary crown were borne as charges. (Appendix 5). This seal was in use until 1949, the year, when the use of local seals was banned by central authorities. As a result, the local coat-of-arms was neglected and forgotten.

Fortunately, the use of local emblems was reintroduced in Hungary. On the basis of this the local authorities of Sárfimizdó had the settlement’s coat-of-arms created. The description of Sárfimizdó’s recent coat-of-arms is as follows:

In spade shield erect, gules a vambraced arm is holding a scimitar, both argent. Above a nobiliary crown is borne couped, or.