National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Sajópüspöki [¤]
Click to zoom

Sajópüspöki

(County Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén)

Military shield erect, the base pointed. It bears: azure, a mitre argent surmounting a patriarchal cross and a pastoral staff crossed in saltire, both or; in base a bar wavy or. For the crest on a wreath azure and argent an eagle displayed or. Beneath the shield the motto SAJÓPÜSPÖKI on a scroll argent.

(The golden wavy band is a reference to the River Sajó, whereas the mitre with the patriarchal cross and the pastoral staff refer to the name Püspöki [translator's note: the Hungarian word püspök means bishop], which signifies that the settlement used to be the possession of the bishop, in fact the Archbishop of Esztergom. The eagle with wings spread means that the village once belonged to the historical Gömör county.)

The village of Sajópüspöki is located in the northwestern part of the county Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén, on the right bank of the River Sajó, by trunk road 25, at a distance of 12 kilometres from Ózd and 10 kilometres from Putnok. Alongside the Slovak border the settlement is flanked by hills, while on the other side there flows the Sajó.

The valley of the Sajó, where Sajópüspöki is situated, is mostly covered with fluvial sand, gravel, terrace gravel and, to a lesser extent, with loess and glacial adobe.

The climate tends to be moderately wet, thus arable land is mainly suitable for horticulture that requires less warmth, and the growing of field crops, the most important of which are vegetables, cabbage and onion. Floods mainly occur in early spring and at the beginning of summer.

The considerable area of tide lands is mostly utilised as pasture and ploughland. The local vegetation belongs to the Tornense group of Hungary's Northern Central Mountain flora area of the Pannonian flora region. The flora and fauna of the village surroundings are abundant. Even if the original vegetation has been replaced by agricultural land, in the remaining forests one can still find hornbeam groves, Turkey oaks and, to a lesser extent, pinewoods. In addition, the village fields are the natural habitat of several protected species of bird, for example that of the common buzzard. The facilities available for holidaymakers are limited; the only inn is run by a private entrepreneur.

The village's first documented mention goes back to 1263, when Master Mátyás Sajópüspöki appeared before the royal tax collectors, an event which also signifies that the village already had a church parish. In 1294, when King Andrew III bestowed the village on the Archbishop of Esztergom, it was mentioned as Pispuki, whereas in the papal tithe registers of 1332-7 the same settlement was recorded as Pyspuk.

In the 14th century the landlords were the Putnokys, but in 1411 the village was to be found among the possessions of the Bishopric of Rozsnyó. By 1753 the old village church had got into such a bad condition that it was in danger of collapse. The foundations of the present late Baroque church were laid down in 1792. Two years later it was consecrated to honour the Blessed Virgin. The tower was added by the Treasury in 1799. Since the village was nearly uninterruptedly owned by the church, the dwellers remained Catholics all the time.

In 1969, Sajópüspöki lost independence and was attached to Bánréve. It was only in 1991, following the changes in the political system, that the village regained its self authority.

The villagers' main occupation is the cultivation of land, and they supply the nearby towns with horticultural produce. The decline of metallurgy at Ózd also hit Sajópüspöki's dwellers hard, because it gave rise to unemployment. Joint enterprise is only represented by one agricultural public limited company and one co-operative farm, one trading company, and three non-profit organisations in the services. Apart from this, there are only two private entrepreneurs working at Sajópüspöki.

Picture: Pribula House