National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Sajókeresztúr
Click to zoom

Sajókeresztúr

(Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County)

Military shield erect, party per pale azure and vert, base curved to a point. In its dexter field a vine stock vert is borne and it is decorated with three leaves and two bunches of grape. In sinister field a church tower argent is borne encouped. It is topped by a star. Shield is engorged with a closed battle helm proper and with two scrolls argent and vert. As crest a man's arm is borne, habited gules and it is holding a scimitar. Mantling on both sides is vert and or. Below the shield a ribbon is borne encouped with the settlement's name SAJÓKERESZTÚR inscribed in it.

Sajókeresztúr belongs to the settlements of historic Borsod county, being rich in history. The village is one of the settlements by the river Sajó, in the vicinity of the Bükk mountains. Owing to grape-growing, wine production and trade in the 13-14th centuries it became a market town.

Sajókeresztúr is first mentioned in the 11th century. The papal tithe lists denote it as Keresztwr, Villakerszthur but the church uniformly names it "Ecclesia Santa Crucis" (briefly "De Santa Crucce"). The first owner of the settlement is the Miskócz clan, then came the Bebek family from Torna possessing the deed of gift from King János. At that time seven county meeting were held here and the importance of Sajókeresztúr is also proved by the fact that the village had three judges. It was a famous wine-growing region also justified by the fact that 115 local inhabitants paid wine tax in 1572.

In the 17th century the village was given the market town charter. Records also refer to its vineyards and famous water mill built by Gergely Czudar. In that century one landlord, György Rákóczi, the son of the princely family is worth to be mentioned. On the vineyard hill he had a very long, arched wine cellar built, modelled on Tokaj cellars.

Later there were a lot of owners of Sajókeresztúr and the people living here had to cope with a lot of difficulties. Nevertheless, the Mongols, the Turks also destroyed the village and natural disasters like fire and floods were by no means unusual.

The settlement is situated in Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén county, 7 kilometres north of Miskolc, on a territory bordered by Road Number 26 and the river Sajó.

It has 1632 inhabitants and its territory is 1640 hectare. It can be reached by rail and direct coach service from Miskolc, the county centre.

The recent history of the village is characterised by progress. Except for the sewage system the infrastructure is complete. In Sajókeresztúr there are 540 houses which are almost 100 percent equipped with piped drinking water, gas and telephone.

There is a developed network of institutes, namly a nursery school, a primary school, a day-care centre, a gymnasium, school sport fields, independent GP and welfare visitor service. In the village there is also a pharmacy owned by the local government and a library, a house for cultural purposes and a cable television transmission system. The roads are 100 percent provided with asphalt covering and modern public lighting.

Photos:

01. The Settlement from Bird's View

02. View of Sajókeresztúr

03. Church

04. Church

05. The Primary School

06. The Surgery with the Pharmacy

07. Street Scene

08. Row of Wine Cellars

09. Row of Wine Cellars

10. River Bank of the Sajó