National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Sajókaza [¤]
Click to zoom

Sajókaza

(Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén-County)

The coat-of-arms of the village of Sajókaza can be described as follows:

A shield represents the most important component of a coat-of-arms. The shield of Sajókaza’s coat-of.arms is oval and erect. It is azure. In base a triple mound vert, representing the three hills of Csüre, Ráró and Kétes, which surround the settlement. The mound in the middle, the highest one, is topped by a vine stock or with two bunches of grapes. (In the year of 1797 Kaza was mentioned as a place famous for its wine.)

Shiled is topped by a helm, a crest and it is adorned by mantling.

The use of helm has always been popular in heraldry. Back in the history of heraldry a helm was considered as significant as the shield itself. The shield of the coat-of-arms of the village of Sajókaza is topped by an open tournament helm, which is decorated with a crown. It is borne at a slant toward the dexter. Helms were traditionally decorated with ornaments fixed with screws to the helm itself. Mantling appeared in heraldry in order to hide these screws.. Later on mantling was replaced by the graphic representations of floral and leafy motives. The tinctures of the mantling were in accordance with the dominant tincture of the shield. In the coat-of-arms of Sajókaza the mantling is azure and or.

A Brief History of the Village of Sajókaza

The village of Sajókaza is located by the river Sajó in Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County. It is an old settlement, its first written mention goes back to a 13th century document.

The origin of its name is unclear and it is often debated. Some linguists relate the word to the old Slavic word koza, meaning goat, while others argue that Kaza is a word of Turkish origin and it used to mean an ancient tribe.

The settlement’s name was first mentioned in writing in 1237. During the reign of King Béla IV in Abaúj County the village was considered as a settlement of primary importance. It was also in this period that the first church of the settlement was built to honour St. Guy. The significance of the settlement is also shown by the fact that in the 14th century the county assemblies were on several occasions held here. (In 1342, 1343, 1360, 1372, 1381 and in 1393.)

The owners of the settlement in this period were the members of the Rátold clan, who built a monastery at Kaza. It is not known when the construction of the monastery was completed, but it is certain that it was already there in 1343. The 14th century was a period of thriving for the settlement. The area of Kaza was enlarged, a tower was added to its church, in spite of the fact, that the members of the clan often fought with each other.

All members of the Rátold clan, including the Feledis, the Lórántffys as well as the members of the Kakas and Putnoki families, owned property at Kaza. Later on the settlement went into the possession of the royal family and King Sigismund put it into pawn for György, son of Lóránt Serkey.

Some of the settlement’s vineyards got mentioned in this period, including the most famous one at Zomoly.

The continuously growing settlement was raised to the rank of town and contemporary documents referred to it as ’oppidium’, that is a town.

Documents, born during the reign of King Mathias, clearly mentioned Kaza as a market town.

The period of Turkish occupation brought decline and destruction. During the siege of the castle of Eger Kaza was also looted and on October 13, 1558 a bloody battle took place near the settlement. The Turks looted and burnt the village repeatedly in the years of 1560, 1561 and 1562 as well and they levied considerable taxes on the surviving population. Due to this oppression and the constant fear of the atrocities of the Turks the local inhabitants fled Kaza and in 1564 it was already mentioned as an uninhabited settlement.

Natural disasters also struck around this time. In 1638 a major fire destroyed the settlement and nearly all inhabitants fell victims to it.

The owners alternated quite often. The most important change was that due to their relatedness to the Lórántffy family, the members of the wellknown Rákóczi family were also registered as landowners at Kaza. György Rákóczi visited the settlement on several occasions.

Following the Peace Treaty of Szatmár the Rákóczi property was confiscated, including the family possessions at Kaza .Part of the local fields went into the possession of György Pongrácz, who later sold it for 27000 forints to László Radvánszky. In 1756 Kaza officially became a Radvánszky property and it remained in the possession of the same family until as late as 1945. They had the impressive Radvánszky mansion built here, which is a listed building today.

After 1945 coal mining became the chief occupation for the inhabitants of Kaza until the early 1960s, when due to economic problems the coal mines were closed down.