National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Lucfalva [¤]
Click to zoom

Lucfalva

(The County of Nógrád)

Shield erect, party per fess and party per pale. The divisioning of the shield has a heraldic significance. One of the main charges, the girl habited azure is a reference to the settlement’s name. Legend has it that the name of the village of Lucfalva derives from the name Lucia, the name of the daughter of the one-time owner of nearby Fehérkő Castle at Sámsonháza.

The charge of the church int he settlement’s coat of arms recalls the religious beliefs of the local inhabitants. The ear of corn as charge is the symbol of agricultural activities, pursued on the slopes of nearby hills.

Lucfalva – Lucina

Lucfalva is located in a nice valley between the Mátra and the Cserehát mountains in the southeastern corner of the former Szécsény district. Legend has it that the name of the village of Lucfalva derives from the name Lucia, the name of the daughter of the robber baron of nearby Fehérkő Castle at Sámsonháza. The name Lúcin is another version of the settlement’s name and it is of Slavic origin. The settlement was registered by that name in the late 1800s. Lucfalva can be found in the vicinity of Pogányvárpuszta and it was originally inhabited by a population of border guards. Local lands are poor and infertile.

The settlement was known prior to the Mongol invasion as well. In 1235 a nearby hill was recorded by the name Kosztolik and it had a wooden church constructed on it. The wooden chapel was then burnt down by the Mongols in 1241 and the settlement itself was also marauded by them. Later both the settlement and the church were rebuilt. The village got its present-day name in 1910.

The church of the settlement was built in late Baroque style and it has a detached belfry. Both its exterior and interior are plain. The church was built on a small terrace near the hillslope and its altar is looking toward the south.

The inhabitants of the village were originally Lutherans but later some Catholic and Baptist families also settled down in the village. The first village school was built in 1786. The construction of the settlement’s modern school building was completed on April 18th, 1994. Today the school can boast the best of educational technology. From 1950 onward classes are also held in the Slovak language.

From 1990-1994 all public institutions got modernised. In addition to the construction of a new school building the doctor’s surgery, the local kindergarten and the old school building were also renovated.

A new Slovak kindergarten began to operate in the village in 1970, which today caters for 50 children in two mixed-age groups. The main objectives of kindergarten education include the harmonious development of the children’s personality, folk art education and skills development in crafts.

The inhabitants of Lucfalva cherish their local traditions, keep their customs, record their folk songs and use their local dialect. Old houses, attics and cellars also hide relics of former ages. These were collected and are exhibited now in the local history museum. All the everyday objects, traditional tools of this exhibition were donated by the local inhabitants and as part of the exhibition their names can be read both in Hungarian and in Slovak.