National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Lovasberény
Click to zoom

Lovasberény

(County Fejér)

The first written mention of the settlement can be read at an in 1302 issued and in 1419 transcribed charter :

- The word "BERÉNY" takes its origin of an old- Turkish peoples-name. The ethnic group of "Berény", together with our conquering ancestors have settled all over our country.

The interpretation of the foreword "LOVAS" comes of the activity stud-groom.

- The other, more probable interpretation is, that the most people of the village have been royal horseman, being free of paying taxies, serving only the King himself. The light cavalryman at the escutcheon refers to the name of the village. The soldiers of the light cavalry were then the further Hussars.

The oldest delineation of the Hussars can be found on the scabbard of a sabre. Like to this cavalryman was delineated the soldiers on the escutcheon, with the change, showing on his on shield with double crucifix of the Kings Árpád Familiar. That motive relates to the Royal's cavalry.

The three twigs of an oak on the escutcheon don't symbolise the victorious events' in the history of Lovasberény.

- The Conquest, when ethnic groups of "Berény" settled here. From these old Turkish people of origin comes really the name Lovasberény.

They "magyarized" then during the long centuries. In 1543 Turkish troops devastated the village, setting fire to the houses, killing the people, or taking them as slavers to Turkey. After that was the village uninhabited, and the attempts of an anew colonisation were unsuccessful for very long years.

- The anew colonisation of the village. In 1637. a small group of Calvinists from village Bikács, country Tolna, has settled here. These new inhabitants made the village prosper within a single decade.

- In 1765. Queen Maria Theresa has given a status of a market-town to the village.

The wall-crown pediment documents the status of a market-town of the village.

The additional figures of the escutcheon: Justitia and Silver-wolf. They are not only adornments, but also trustworthy motives of the historical events at Lovasberény.

- The copy of the market-town signet from 1765. could not to be found. The round writing of the further signet lands: Lovasberény - Market-town, 1836.

Delineation of Justicia on self-government's signet is unique in our country. It relates probably the landlord of that time, Count Anthony Cziráky, being a country arbitrator at same time.

- The silver-wolf relates to the Family Cziráky too. The wolf is part of the Family shield of Czirákies.

1995. is a round anniversary in the history of Lovasberény, because, exactly 230 years ago has it became to a market town. The today's self-government raised a worthy monument to the memory of this event, creating the living escutcheon of the village.