National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Lippó [¤]
Click to zoom

Lippó

(Baranya County)

The settlement’s coat of arms can be described as follows:

The civic emblem is a somewhat modernised version of the well known heraldic spade shield. Shield is enframed by mantling contoured sable. On the sinister side mantling is tinctured or, on the dexter side azure. Shield is topped by a royal crown or, which is decorated with gems gules and vert. The charge of the crown symbolises the fact that the area of Lippó was populated as early as the age of the Árpád dynasty. Below the shield, issuing from the centre of the base a ribbon or is borne, contoured sable. The two edges of the ribbon are folded. In the middle of the ribbon the name of the settlement, LIPPÓ is inscribed in letters sable. On the sinister side of it the date 1241 and on the dexter side the date 1274 is inscribed. The date 1241 recalls the fact that the village of Lippó existed as early as the period of the Mongol invasion and the year 1274 is a reference to the first documented mention of the settlement’s name.

The shield is a combination of a shield party per fess and of a shield party per pale. Chief party per fess and azure. As charges three eight-pointed stars are borne in it, which are linked by horizontal lines, all or. The stars symbolise the Hungarian, German and Serbian ethnicities of the village as well as their peaceful co-existence. Base party per fess and vert. This tincture is a reference to the land itself and to agriculture. Fess party per pale and gules. On the sinister side a sheaf of three ears of corn as well as a bunch of grapes, leaved vert and fructed purpure. These motives signify the fact that the inhabitants of Lippó have always lived from agriculture. The charge of the wheat symbolises the bread of the families, their hope for a prosperous future. Above the sheaf the stylised depiction of a ploughshare argent is borne, also a reference to local agriculture. This motif also occurred in both versions of Lippó’s seals of 1816 and 1826. Above the ploughshare three roses are borne, all or. The roses were also charges in the village seal of 1816.

On the dexter side the symbols of struggles and of bravery are borne. The main charges of this field include a tower proper (grey), the figure of a warrior issuing from the top; he is habited vert and wearing a cap gules.In his sinsiter hand warrior is holding a scimitar argent and in his dexter hand a flag tinctured azure and or. It was typical of the Middle Ages in Hungary that the nobles paid taxes with their own blood by fighting in the battlefields and using their own finances they to set up military troops which were commanded by them under their own flags. The charge of the warrior in Lippó’s coat of arms is a reference to the Lippó family. Above the charges of the tower and the warrior motives are borne, which are all religious references. On the sinister side the motif of a stylised Latin cross is borne, a motif, typical of the village’s Roman Catholic population. Next to it the charge of the Greek cross, a reference to the Serbian inhabitants of Lippó.