National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Lipót [¤]
Click to zoom

Lipót

(Győr-Moson-Sopron County)

Shield erect and party per fess with a bend argent. In chief vert two streams of water argent are bursting high up; they are reminders of the settlement’s two thermal water springs.The springs are also symbolical of the settlement’s present and of its future as well. The wavy bend is a reference to the river Danube, which has always played a significant role in Lipót’s life. In base gules a scythe, a coulter and two ears of corn. This latter motif is from the old seal of the settlement and it refers to Lipót’s agricultural characteristics. Above the shield a five-pointed baronial crown or. It was taken over from the coat of arms of the Viczay baronial family, the members of which were the builders of the local church. This motif in the settlement’s coat of arms appears to recall their memory.

Lipót is an autonomous settlement on the right bank of the Danube river; it can be found in the heart of the Szigetköz region. Lipót is located at 15 kilometres east of Mosonmagyaróvár and 24 kilometres west of Győr. King Béla IV bestowed the area on Lipoldt, an inhabitant of Moson in 1264. In 1377 the settlement got already memtioned as the property of the Héderváry family and it was called Lypothfalva.

Due to frequent floods as well as to destuction caused by the military the inhabitants had to flee their village to the islands of the Danube and when the hard times were over they rebuilt their houses in new, safer areas. This is why the village of Lipót was built on three different locations. The name Falusziget, the name of an alley on the other bank of the Danube’s backwater, preserved the memory of the oldest traces of the settlement. The second settlement was located in the vicinity of today’s backwater, near the so-called Macska-sziget (Cat’s Island). This is where the remains of the settlement’s old church as well as of its old buildings were unearthed. The third site of the village is the place where modern Lipót is located but it was also rebuilt on several occasions. In 1658, 1784, 1831 and in 1849 the settlement was devastated by epidemics of cholera, while in 1684 and in 1688 the plague swept through the village. The last year of the epidemic took over 200 lives in Lipót alone. This is why the yearbook of church visits of 1731 listed only the names of 241 local inhabitants. The records of manumission compensation of 1785 preserved the names of 9 nobiliary families as well as of 14 families of villeins and of 17 families of agricultural workers.

In 1809 the French army marched through and destroyed the settlement. It was also the year of a major flood. In spite of all these hardships Lipót was rebuilt and a period of progress began. In 1851 the number of local inhabitants was 840 and by religious affiliation the population consisted of 832 Roman Catholic and 8 Jewish people. The village was called ’Lipold’ in that period and it used to possess ’rich pastures, beautiful meadows as well as water mills on the Danube’. The owner of the settlement included the members of the baronial Viczay and Sándor families.

It was in 1884 that Lipót and several of its neighbouring villages were annexed to Moson County. The religious community of Lipót also got affiliated to Hédervár. The secular registration of population was the task of the notarial district of Mosondarnó.

Traditionally the inhabitants made their living from the water. Local fishermen worked in groups and the fish they caught was sold on the markets of Vienna and Bratislava. Lipót was famous for its sturgeon. Gold mining was also significant. The tax registry of Óvár of 1831 mentioned 39 local gold miners. Some of them were still active at the beginning of the 20th century. The water mills of Lipót were also famous. In 1782 the village could boast eight mills, then by 1885 their number went down to six. Several inhabitants worked as ferrymen, dockers, boat towers or as shipmen. Due to dominance of these occupations, the regulation of the Danube’s bed which started in 1885, had a great impact on the life of the inhabitants of Lipót. Many people were forced to abandon their former occupations and take up new jobs. This is the time when many local inhabitants became farmers. It was the local teachers who taught them a lot about agricultural work.

At the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries the village was thriving: in 1900 its inhabitants included 1007 Catholic and 11 Jewish people. The first world war took 28 lives from the village. Following the Trianon Peace Treaty 800 acres of Lipót’s woodlands and grasslands were given over to the neighbouring country. As a result animal breeding was losing significance. According to a detailed description of 1929 the village of Lipót had 154 houses and 812 inhabitants. Its area was 2900 acres, out of which 1186 acres was ploughland, 98 acres was meadow, 672 acres was wooded area, 5 acres gardens, reeds was 30 acres and other area was 550 acres. Local soil was occasionally sandy, occasionally muddy or swampy. The main agricultural crops included wheat, rye, barley, corn, potatoes and carrots.

In the local 2-classroom Roman Catholic school Dénes Makkos and Kornélia Keller were the teachers and they educated 96 regular pupils, and, in addition, 46 children with learning disorders. The village in that period had a fire brigade, a youth organisation and the Hangya Savings Bank.

In the second world war 17 people died from Lipót. The great flood of 1954 destroyed the whole village and this is why today a newly rebuilt village awaits its visitors on the bank of the river Danube. Many tourists are attracted by Lipót’s thermal water, which was discovered in 1968, when drilling was carriewd out in the village. Later a thermal bath was opened which is based on local thermal water.

The most famous sights of Lipót include its Baroque-style church, which was built to commemorate the martyrdom of Pope (St) Clement I. The area of the church is 204 square metres and its construction was already mentioned as early as the yearbook of church visits of 1722. The construction of the church building was eventually completed in 1777.

The protected alley of horse chestnut trees between Lipót and Darnózseli is also worth seeing. Another fampous place in the vicinity of Lipót is the 68-hectare Danube backwater, a well known habitat and nesting place for water fowl. While walking in the streets of Lipót visitors to the village can also admire some beautiful houses of folk architecture. The settlement’s traditional layout is also worth mentioning. The houses were built in clusters on hilltops (these were occasionally artificial), and thus the streets were meandering in the former riverbeds. Thus in case of flood the inhabitants could use boats to reach their homes.

In the cultural centre of Lipót educational and cultural events are organised; the village also has a medical centre, a post office and a savings bank. Lovers of sports can pursue football, tennis, angling and water sports in the village. In summer Lipót is very busy: seceral camp sites, restaurants, guest houses and the thermal bath await visitors and holiday makers in the peak season.

Photos:

1. Aerial view

2. St Kelemen Parish Church

3. Church - interior

4. Kengyátó - "Stony lakes"

5. Thermal- and Experience Baths

6. Thermal- and Experience Baths

7. Camping

8. Hotel Orchidea