National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Lesenceistvánd [¤]
Click to zoom

Lesenceistvánd

(Veszprém County)

Triangular shield erect and mainly undecorated. It is tinctured azure, vert, argent and or, as well as sable. Shield is contoured sable and below it the name of the settlement is also inscribed in letters sable. Inscription follows the shape of the shield.

Base is party per fess with a convex line. In base a mound vert. Chief and fess are azure. The chief and fess are separated from the base by a strip argent. Issuing from the silver strip the charge of a stylised chapel is borne in field azure. On the dexter side three chestnut leaves issuing from one stalk are borne, all or. On the sinister side a bunch of grapes, also or.

The charges and the tinctures of Lesenceistvándi’s coat-of-arms can be described as follows:

The shape of the settlement’s coat-of-arms, as well as its simplicity are all references to the history of the village, which goes back to as early as the period of the Hungarian Conquest. In that early period the coats-of-arms were very simple.

The charge of the mound signifies the undulating landscape which surrounds the village of Lesenceistvánd, while the green colour is the symbol of the land, which the inhabitants of the settlement have always lived from. The silver ribbon running parallel with the arch of the mound is the symbol of the stream of Lesence, a word, which also appears in the name of the village. The blue is the colour of the sky, the colour of air, without which there can be no life. The chapel is the most characteristic charge in Lesenceistvánd’s coat-of-arms and naturally both the charge itself and its colour refer to the religious faith of local inhabitants.

The chestnut leaves as well as the bunch of grapes are references to the local flora as well as to agriculture, both of which made the establishment of a permanent settlement possible in this area. The golden colour of the charges is a symbol of the sun’s warmth, an important source of life.

The history of Lesenceistvánd can be described as follows:

Lesenceistvánd is the westernmost settlement in Veszprém County and it can be found in the zone of attraction of the town of Tapolca. Similar to other nearby villages the area of the settlement was inhabited as early as the period of the Hungarian Conquest. Its first written mention goes back to 1262, a year, when a document from Zala County mentioned a village by the name Lesunche. A later document of 1372 had the name Stephand in it. The full name of the settlement is known to have been mentioned in a document of 1535, in the form Isthwand alaiter Lessenche Istvand.

The number of local inhabitants often changed throughout the settlement’s history. A contemporary register mentioned 18 local homes in 1531, but in the 1720s the number of inhabitants began to grow rapidly.

Local inhabitants made their living from agriculture, most often from vine growing. This situation has not yet changed. In the outer fields of the village large wooded areas of chestnut trees could be found and old documents often mentioned chestnuts in connection with manorial taxes. Unfortunately this tree is almost non-existent in the area today.

The settlement was a feudal property, its landowners included members of the Dersfy, the Pethő of Derse, the Eszterházy family, as well as András Csoron.

The origin of the name of the settlement can be described as follows:

It has always been common in Hungarian heraldry that a settlement’s coat-of-arms had charges in it, which were related to the given settlement’s name. This is why it is important to interpret Lesenceistvánd’s name as well.

The settlement’s name is a compound word of the anterior constituent Lesence and of the posterior constituent Istvánd. The word Lesence comes from the name of the stream of Lesence, which originates from Sümegprága and flows into Lake Balaton at Balatonederics. Lesence is thought to be a word of Slavic origin by some linguists and it may go back to the word les or leske, which meant a star. Contrary to this explanation there is another one, according to which Lesence denotes a kind of nuts. This hypothesis seems to be supported by those stories of local people, according to which the areas on the banks of the stream were once covered with hazelnut shrubs.

The word Istvánd contains a person’s name and the suffix –d, which means that this structure denoted the fact that the village once was the property of a person called István. But there are no written documents relating to the proper identification of this person, that is, it is not known which family this person belonged to.

The one-time landowners of the village included the members of the Csoron family. They originated from the Transdanubian part of Hungary and sometimes they are also mentioned as Chyorons. András was the last member of this family. He was the bailiff of Veszprém County, and, according to the data collected by Iván Nagy, András Csoron owned Lesence, as well as Tomaj. (Lesence is identical with today’s Lesenceistvánd and Tomaj with Lesencetomaj).

When the Csoron family died out the formerly mentioned settlements were obtained by the members of the Nádasdy family. Other landowners included the members of the Eszterházy and the Pethő families. From the Eszterházy family it was Károly (1723-1799) of the baronial branch of the family who owned Lesenceistvánd .According to Iván Nagy the Nádasdys had two branches and both had common ancestry with the Pethős of Gerse. The members of the Pethő family owned the settlement until 1766. It was the year when the family died out.