National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Municipality of Lepsény [¤]
Click to zoom

Lepsény

(The County of Fejér)

The coat-of-arms is a shield quarterly of argent and azure, the sides curving to a pointed base. The top is two concave lines meeting in a point in the middle. The shield is bordered by a thin frame or.

In the first field argent three bulrushes proper (the middle one borne higher), all with a leaf curving to the dexter and to the sinister respectively. In the upper second field azure a mediaeval church with a protective wall and with a watch-tower on both sides, all or. In the third field azure an eight-pointed star gules and or.

In the fourth field argent some farm tools sable: a straight scythe on the dexter, a pruning bill in the middle and a hay rake on the sinister.

Above the shield a nine-pointed (Nádasdy) coronet is borne. The scarves issuing from the coronet are azure and or, surrounding the shield on both sides.

The bulrushes in the first field refer to the swampy area that surrounds the settlement. This motif can also be found in the coat-of-arms of the Nádasdy family, who owned part of the village fields between 1713 and 1945.

The image of the fortified church tinctured gold in the second field can be seen on a map dated 1528.

The eight-pointed star in the third field comes from a seal of 1683 belonging to the Calvinist dwellers of the village, which got repopulated in the middle of the 17th century. Of the charges in the fourth field, the pruning bill borne in the middle, which would be in use in the Middle Ages, symbolises viticulture going back to several hundred years of history. The scythe, also appearing on the seal of 1683, is the symbol of the cultivation of land, and thus it is a reference to agriculture, an activity with a great past in the village.

The history of Lepsény dates back to the 13th century, when the village was first mentioned by the name VESPIN in 1226. In the 14th century it already had the right to hold markets. Within the area of the settlement artefacts from ancient times, such as the prehistoric age and the Roman period, have already been unearthed.

Lepsény is situated on both sides of trunk road 70, is crossed by the railway between Budapest and Nagykanizsa, and is known as an important hub. Although the main activity is agriculture, local economic conditions are made more varied by tourism due to the vicinity of Lake Balaton. The village hill, where vine is grown, is a favourite place for town dwellers to relax, whereas in the part called Újhegy there is a hospitable csárda (traditional Hungarian restaurant).

By the trunk road there stands one of the largest Calvinist church buildings of Transdanubia, while the nearby Purgly mansion is a listed building in Classical style. The neo-Baroque former Nádasdy mansion is situated in a park of six hectares. The renovation and rebuilding of this historical monument is in progress. The village's Roman Carholic church was built at the beginning of the century. With its neo-Gothic appearance and renewed interior it is worth the attention.

In the building of the village library situated in the centre of the settlement there is a permanent exhibition of local history and ethnography, aiming at preserving and keeping the settlement's traditions.