National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Lendvajakabfa
Click to zoom

Lendvajakabfa

(The County of Zala)

Shield erect and partitioned into six parts. In the centre an escutcheon, azure, which bears as charge the figure of the Apostle St. James, haloed, habited brown and kneeling on a prayer stool, also brown. The figure of the saint is surrounded by ten eight-pointed stars, or, arranged in three different fields. In dexter base vert three pine trees are borne, tinctured a darker shade of green. In sinister base gules an arm is borne, armoured argent and it is holding three arrows, also argent. Above the shield a crown and the mantling is issuing from it. On the dexter side gules and or, on the sinister side azure and or. Below the shield a ribbon or is borne encouped with the settlement’s name LENDVAJAKABFA inscribed in it in letters sable.

The small settlement of Lendvajakabfa is situated at a distance of a few hundred metres from the Slovenian border of Hungary. It lies at a distance of 12 kilometres northwest of the regional centre, Lenti. The village is located at the western edge of the Lenti plains, and, in addition, Lendvajakabfa has several creeks in its vicinity.

In the Middle Ages the settlement was known as Jacobfia Janusfolua and Fényesfelde, as it is attested by documents of 1345 and 1360. In 1555 the name was changed to Jakabfy Janosfalwa, in 1618 to Jacabianosfalua, in 1627 to Jacibianfa, then it eventually received the name Jakabfa, which today is used as the anterior constituent of the settlement’s name. During the registration of Hungarian settlements in 1908 the name of the village received the anterior constituent ’Lendva’. This word is a reference to a nearby river.

The new Hungarian borders, drawn in the postwar period, and the birth of the Yugoslav state had an unfavourable effect on the development of the settlement, by cutting the village off from its natural surroundings. In the 1950s the life of the inhabitants of the border zone became much stricter and harder. Traffic and schooling were almost impossible to organise. Several people had to leave their native village in this period.

The natural surroundings of the village of Lendvajakabfa – similar to the surroundings of other settlements in the vicinity - represent one of the most beautiful places of the undulating border zone area. It is primarily known as a tourist spot.