National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

Coat of Arms of the village of Legyesbénye
Click to zoom

Legyesbénye

(Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County)

Legyesbénye can be found in the region of Hegyalja,in the south of Zemplén in Borsod- Abaúj- Zemplén county.

Its shield is vertical and arched with a dark blue-coloured ploughshare in its grey field.

Its design is usual according to heraldry.

The grey colour of the shield symolizes the citizens’ simplicity and dignity.

The blue motive shows peace and the ploughshare means hard work and persistence.

The people in the village lived on agriculture and viticulture. This is shown by the ploughshare of the shield.

In the 18th century you can already find stamps showing the form of the shield and using the name of Mezőbénye. Later this name became Egyházasbenye and Legyesbénye.

In the 19th century there was a parsonage in the village. In the 1600’s Zsigmond Rákóczi and then György Rákóczi I. owned the village. Later it became depopulated.

From the end of the 18th century Legyesbénye was the possession of the following families: Püspöki, Vaj, Máriássy, Bessenyei, Békési, Aspermant.

The short history of Legyesbénye from the beginning

The region once belonged to the ancient possesseions of the Aba clan as the Anonymous Clerk mentioned that the Aba clan owned lands near the River Takta, The place was called Begna at the times when the Pope had the decimas registered by the priests (1332-1337). In 1374 its name was first recorded as Egyhazas Benye and then Albenye by the issuers of documents. In the 14th century the owner of Bénye belonged to the Bodrogkeresztúr branch of the Aba family and at that time the names of Al-(Under) and Fel-(Up) Bénye were known.

In the deed of gift written in Temesvár on 12th December, 1428 King Sigismund donated Bénye to the Palaghy and Kelecsényi families. In 1429 the new owners’ names were entered in the register however under the Free Right the village had owners of noble birth so the registering was contradicted. In 1522 the names of István Csillag and Ferenc Thoma were entered in the owners’ register of the village by reason of royal donation.

In 1567 together with other villages in Hegyalja this village was also destroyed by the Tartars.

Zsigmond Rákóczi donated the village to the captain of the Szerencs Castle János Békési who moved with his servants and family to the village soon after. The new owner wanted to incrase the number of the inhabitants which was reduced in the wartime. Since he was born in Lelesz, he made some families living in his birthplace settle down here.

In 1747 King Ferdinand III. donated the village to György Rákóczi I. and his wife Zsuzsanna Lorántffy with the right of inheritence.

Legyesbénye suffered a lot from the Turkish, as well. In the middle of the 17th century they destroyed the whole village. Lots of inhabitants were killed, many of them were captured and all of their animals were driven away.

In 1711 like the other lands of Rákóczi Legyesbénye which had been depopulated by that time became the property of the treasury. During the 18th century thands to the zeal of its owners the number of the inhabitants was slowly getting higher and higher and the place changed into a new village. Its parish and church already stood in the 14th century. The latter is proven by the name Egyházasbénye.

The now standing Roman Catholic church was built in honour of the saint heart of Jesus in 1902.

The reformed church was built at the beginning of the 18th century.

Wold war II. did not not damage the village as much as in other places. Some buildings were damaged as they were destroyed by a bomb or a cannon shot.

There was a cinema in the village frem 1952. First it was the Zalay mansion then in the culture house.

The building of the senior section of the new school was built between 1956-60. Before that time the children studied in three different buildings which were the Greek Catholic School, the Catholic School and the Reformed Schoool.

There have been a separate surgery and a post office in our village since 1970. We have had the pipe-line system of drinking water since 1978 and 25% of the hosehold is connected to the sewage system.

In 2001 the pipe-line for natural gas system was developed.

We have also established some new institutions: the Child Health Clinic, the Library and the Museum.

In 2002 a memorial was put up to the year of millennium in the yard of the Catholic Church.

The population is 1740.

Our website: http://legyesbenye.uw.hu

E-mail: polghiv@legyesbenye.hu

Das Wappen von Legyesbénye

Legyesbénye befindet man sich in Hegyalja, in der südlichen Teil des Zempléngebirges im Komitat Borsod-Abaújvár-Zemplén.

Sein Wappen besteht aus einem stehenden und wölbenden Wappenschild, in dessen grauen Feld noch eine dunkelblaue Pflugschar ist. In der Heraldik sieht man, dass die Einteilung des Schildes altherkömmlich ist.

Was sich die graue Farbe des Wappenschildes anbelangt, bedeutet es Einfachheit und die Würde der Bürger. Das blaue Motiv charakterisiert sich im Schild den Frieden,die Pflugschar,den Fleiß und die Ausdauer.

Die, im Schild befindende Pflugschar verweist darauf, dass sich die Bewohner des Dorfes früher mit Ackerbau und mit Weinbau beschäftigten.

Auf die Form des Wappens hinweisende Stempel gab es schon im 13. Jahrhundert, worauf man den Namen "Mezőbénye"sehen konnte.

Das Dorf bekam später den Namen "Egyházasbénye", danach "Legyesbénye".

Im 19. Jahrhundert hatte die Siedlung eine Pfarre auch. In den Jahren 1600 gehörte "Legyesbénye" Zsigmond Rákóczi, dann gehörte der Besitz György Rákóczi der 1.

Später wurde sich das Dorf entvölkert.

Vom Ende des 18. Jahrhunderts gehörte es den Familien Püspöki, Vaj, Máriássy, Bessenyey, Békési, und Aspermant.

DIE KURZE GESCHICHTE VON LEGYESBÉNYE VON ANFANG AN

Diese Gegend gehörte früher zu den uralten Teil des "Aba" Geschlechts,da der "Anonyme Notar" auch darüber erwähnte, dass das "Aba" Geschlecht in der Umgebung von "Takta" Besitze hatte.

In den päpstlichen "Zehntenlisten" hatte der Besitz von 1332 bis 1337 den Namen "Begna". So trugen den "Zehnten" geschriebene Priester den Namen des Besitzes in die Liste ein.

Der Name der Siedlung wurde von den Aussteller der Urkunde als "Egyházasbénye", später "Albénye" verewigt.

Im 14. Jahrhundert gehörte Bénye zu der bodrogkeresztúrer Linie vom Geschlecht "Aba" , als man es als "Al" und "Felbénye" kannte.

Der König Zsigmond belehnte in seinem Donationsbrief, der in Temesvár am 12.12.1428. datiert wurde,die Familien Palaghy und Kelecsényi mit dem Grundstück "Bénye".

Im Jahre 1429 wurden die neuen Besitzer in den geschenkten Grundstücken belehnt, aber durch das "freigelassene Recht" hatte das Dorf schon adlige Besitzer,so war es mit den Tatsachen und mit der Belehnung in direktem Widerspruch.

In 1522 wurden in den belehnten Grundstücken István Csillag und Ferenc Toma datiert.

Im Jahre 1567 wurde das Dorf durch den "Tatarensturm" zerstört.

Dann belehnte Zsigmond Rákóczi dem Kapitän der szerencser Burg János Békés, der mit seinen Gutsarbeiter und mit seinem Haus später hierher herzog, mit der Gemeinde "Bénye".

Die Bevölkerung wurde sich durch den Kampf vermindert.Das Ziel des neuen Besitzers war deshalb, aus seinem Heimatdorf "Lelesz" einige Familien nach "Bénye" zu besiedeln.

Ferdinand der 3. Hatte das Faustrecht geltend gemacht, so bekam die Gemeinde György Rákóczi der 1. und seine Frau Zsuzsanna Lórántffy.

In der Mitte des 17. Jahrhunderts zerstörten das Dorf "Legyesbénye" die Türken. Viele Bewohner wuden gestorben, andere wurden gefangengenommen und wurden Sklaven. Ihre Tiere wurden auch gejagt.

Danach bekam das Schatzamt "Legyesbénye", was sich damals entvölkerte.

Durch grossen Eifer der Besitzer der Gemeinde wurde die Bevölkerung im 18. Jahrhundert zugenommen, dadurch wurde "Legyesbénye" ein neues Dorf.

Die Pfarre und die Kirche des Dorfes standen schon im 14. Jahrhundert.

Es bestätigt sein Name "Egyházasbénye".

Die heutzutage stehende römisch-katholische Kirche wurde im Jahre 1902 für die Ehre des heiligen Herzens Jesus Christus gebaut.

Die reformierte Kirche baute man zu Anfang des 18. Jahrhunderts.

Der zweite Weltkrieg richtete keine schweren Schaden an, wie bei anderen Siedlungen. Nur einige Gebäuden wurden durch die Bombierung beschädigt.

Vom Jahr 1952 haltete das Dorf ein Kino in Betrieb, das man sich zuerst im Schloss Zalay und dann im Kulturhaus bis zum Jahr 1987 befand.

Zwischen 1959-60 wurde das heutzutage stehende Gebäude für die Oberstufen der Grundschule gebaut, da die Schüler bisher in drei isolierten Gebäuden lernten.

Es gab damals eine griechisch-katholische, eine römisch-katholische und eine reformierte Schule.

Im Dorf funktioniert seit 1970 ein Postamt und ein Sprechzimmer.

Seit 1978 gibt es in Legyesbénye Trinkwassersnetz, und Schutzwassersnetz, was schon 25%-lich gebaut wurde.

Man wurde in 2001 die Gasleitung bauen lassen.

Wir riefen mehrere neuen Institutionen ins Leben, wie z.B.:eine Bibliothek, ein Heimatmuseum, und eine Säuglingsbewahrfürsorge.

Im Jahre 2002 setzten wir ein Baudenkmal fürs Millennium im Hof der katholischen Kirche.

Im Dorf "Legyesbénye" leben jetzt 1740 Menschen.

Wir haben eine Web-Seite im Internet: http://legyesbénye.uw.hu

Unsere E-mail Adresse ist : polghiv@legyesbenye.hu