National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Látrány [¤]
Click to zoom

Látrány

(County Somogy)

The coat-of-arms is a spade shield erect framed sable, the base curved to a point. It bears: gules, on the dexter side a plough argent bladed to the dexter, on the sinister side a coulter argent bladed to the sinister; beneath them two ears of wheat or crossed in saltire.

Látrány, a village dating from the Árpádian age, is situated at the foot of the eastern slopes of Gamási-hát (hill). In the early Middle Ages it already had a church of its own, and was a crown and a church possession (owned by the Abbey of Tihany). As recorded in the deed of foundation of the Abbey of Tihany (1055), there were five other settlements in the vicinity: Algamás and Felgamás, Csopak (Supoc), Cegléd (Chegled) and Fűr (Fer).

Látrány was probably founded by the Koppány clan as a military base for defence purposes. The original core of today's settlement still bears the characteristics of ancient Magyar dwelling places, the primary role of which was defence. It was on the outer fields of the village that the battle of Látrány, which resulted in the defeat King András II, took place in 1199. The name Látrány was first mentioned in a document of 1325. From the 1390s, the village was part of the possessions of the Kis, Marczali, Corvin, Báthory and Pekry families. Around that time the area belonged to the major wine-growing regions of the country.

In 1546, Látrány still appears in the first Turkish register of the settlements along the southeast shore of Lake Balaton, but later the number of inhabitants fell sharply, and in 1555 only three households were recorded. After the Turkish occupation, the returning Hungarian landlords had the region resettled. Commoners made their living by hard work in agriculture, forestry, wine-growing, fishing, etc.

After a long period of time, Látrány became a prosperous settlement and the economic centre of the area, a position that it was able to hold until the mid-19th century, when the lakeshore villages of Boglár and Lelle emerged. According to data recorded in Somogy comitat, Látrány, the seat of the district notary, had 150 households and 1,429 inhabitants. It had its own post-office, while the telegraph office was at Balatonlelle, the railway station at Balatonboglár.

In the 1900s, the development of Látrány gained new impetus. The number of inhabitants and its built-in area grew. As compared with other nearby settlements of the same size, the income of Látrány's dwellers increased significantly. This change resulted in a spectacular improvement of the village's profile. In order to meet the needs of tourism also arising in areas not situated directly by the lake, the hard-working people of Látrány have built modern and beautiful houses, and have been offering visitors a variety of tourism-related services. Now, at the turn of the 2nd and 3rd millennia, Látrány is famous for its excellent fruits, and is considered one of the most spectacular settlements south of Lake Balaton.

Látrány is located on the southern shore of Lake Balaton, three kilometres south of the town Balatonlelle, by trunk road 67.

The settlement came into being at the eastern foot of the hills running north from the south, on a slope in the direction of Tetves-patak (brook). The core of the settlement features characteristics very rarely found in other Hungarian villages today, insofar as it has preserved the most ancient type of early Magyar dwelling places, whereby the populous families, who were of the same blood, settled down in a circle, leaving a space in the centre for communal life.

The village has two churches, both of them listed buildings. The Catholic church was built in 1769 in Baroque style, whereas the large, late Baroque Calvinist church was constructed between 1824-8, together with a mansion-like vicarage.

Füzes-tó (lake) on the edge of the village and the resort area built around it are favourite spots for hikers and anglers.

To the east of the settlement, by Tetves-patak one can find the nature reserve of Látrány-puszta, a primeval grassland with flora and fauna only to be found here.