National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Lapáncsa [¤]
Click to zoom

Lapáncsa

(Baranya County)

The settlement’s coat of arms can be described as follows:

Triangular shield erect and azure, in which a mill-wheel is borne or, issuing from a wavy bend argent. In the fess the main charge of the mill-wheel is flanked by a six-pointed star or on the dexter side and a heart-shaped linden-leaf erect and argent on the dexter side.

Above the wheel an upward pointing ploughshare argent is borne encouped. In front of it two coulters or are borne placed crosswise.

Shield is enframed by two palm leaves vert, borne crosswise and fastened with a buckle or.

Below the shield a tripartite ribbon or with the settlement’s name LAPÁNCSA inscribed in it in capital letters sable. Before and after the settlement’s name an ornamnetal dot.

The charges in Lapáncsa’s coat of arms can be interpreted as follows:

The bend of silver waves symbolises the Karasica river. Local waters have always played a significant role –both positive and negative – in the history of the settlement. The river flooded the village on several occasions and it brought destruction to the inhabitants, but it was also used for milling and offering good means of subsistence for the people. Thus the water symbolically also recalls the way how bread was made in the village. In the uper section of the shield agricultural tools are borne, which were traditionally used to grow wheat, while in the lower section of the shield the wheel symbolises the way how flour was made.

The six-pointed star int he settlement’s coat of arms has several meanings: in heraldry it is a reference to Fortune and Glory while in religion from as early as the Middle Ages the motif of the star was used to symbolise the Holy Virgin.

The linden leaf is a symbol which was used by the German population of the village and thus the motif of the leaf commemorates those inhabitants who were uprooted and relocated from the village of Lapáncsa. The linden leaf is the symbol of rationality and vitality as well.

The palm leaf relates to the religious history of the settlement, but it also evokes the notion of victory.

Lapáncsa is located south of the Villányi range of mountains, in the triangular area between the Danube and the Dráva rivers. It is one of the southernmost settlements in Hungary. The settlement’s microclimate is characterised by mild autumns and winters as well as by nice springs. It is a small settlement of 463 hectares and the inner area of the village is only 96 hectares.

The oldest documented mention of the settlement’s name as Lappanch goes back to 1349.

In the 16th century the village was the property of the Istvánffy family, then it was taken over by Miklós Henyei. In the 17th century Lapáncsa was part of the Draskovics estate and in the fights against the Turkish hordes it was fully destroyed.

The village was rebuilt after 1749, when Palatine Pál Eszterházy purchased the estate at Dárda for himself. The first German settlers arrived around 1760. One third of the German ethnic population was relocated after the second world war.

Wappen der Gemeinde Lapáncsa [¤]

(Komitat Baranya)

Heraldische Beschreibung:

Im blauen Feld eines stehenden dreieckigen Schildes ist unten ein sich aus waagerechtem silbernem Wellenbalken heraushebendes goldenes Mühlrad, das in der Mitte des Schildes links von einem sechszackigen goldenen Stern, rechts von einem silbernen, herzförmigen Lindenblatt begleitet ist.

Über dem Rad sind zwei gekreuzte goldene Seche vor einer schwebenden, mit der Spitze nach oben stehenden silbernen Pflugschar zu sehen.

Auf beiden Seiten umrahmt je ein grüner Palmzweig unten gekreuzt und mit einer goldenen Spange zusammengefasst den Wappenschild.

Unter dem Wappen ist die Aufschrift LAPÁNCSA mit schwarzen Buchstaben auf einem schwebenden, dreifach gegliederten gebogenen goldenen Band zu sehen. Vor und nach dem Siedlungsnamen je ein Prachtpunkt.

Erklärung der Symbole:

Der silberne Wellenbalken symbolisiert den Fluss Karasica. Das Wasser hat eine große Rolle im Dorf, sowohl im negativen als auch im positiven Sinne. Der Fluss hat das Dorf mehrmals überflutet, er hat aber auch die Mühlen betrieben und so den Unterhalt gesichert. Darauf deutet der symbolische Weg des Brotes hin: Oben bedeuten die Geräte der Bodenbearbeitung die Aussaat, unten das Mühlrad das Brotmehl.

Der sechszackige goldene Stern hat mehrere Bedeutungen: in der Heraldik ist er das Wahrzeichen des Glücks und des Ruhmes, als kirchliches Symbol bedeutet er die Heilige Maria seit dem frühen Mittelalter.

Das Lindenblatt symbolisiert die Anwesenheit der deutschen Nationalität und erinnert zugleich an die ehemaligen Ausgesiedelten.

Die Linde ist auch ein Wahrzeichen des Scharfblickes und der Lebenskraft.

Der Palmzweig ist ebenfalls mit der Religion verbunden, aber er kommt auch in Siegeskreuzen vor.

Lapáncsa liegt südlich vom Villány-Gebirge, in einem Dreieck zwischen der Donau und der Drau.

Es gehört zu den südlichsten Siedlungen in Ungarn. Für das Klima sind der milde Frühling, Herbst und Winter typisch. Das Gebiet von Lapáncsa ist klein, nur 463 ha, aber das innere Gebiet ist groß: 96 ha.

Lapáncsa wurde 1349 zum ersten Mal urkundlich erwähnt, in der Form Lappanch.

Im 16. Jahrhundert war das Dorf im Besitz der Istvánffys, dann von Miklós Henyei, im 17. Jahrhundert war es ein Teil des Draskovics-Gutes, in den türkischen Kämpfen wurde es vernichtet.

Um 1749 wurde das Dorf neu gebaut, als der Gespan Herzog Pál Esterházy das Gut von Dárda gekauft hatte.

Die ersten deutschen Ansiedler kamen um das Jahr 1760 in Lapáncsa an.

Nach dem 2. Weltkrieg wurde fast ein Drittel der deutschsprachigen Bevölkerung ausgesiedelt.