National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Lápafő [¤]
Click to zoom

Lápafő

(Tolna County)

Shield –according to the requirements of the period – is a plain shield. It is erect and triangular with an arched upper edge.

The tinctures of the shield are as follows:

Shield azure and contoured or.

The charges of the shield can be described as follows:

On the dexter and sinister sides an ear of corn is borne respectively, both or. In the middle part of the chief a phoenix is borne in a nest and it is depicted together with its young ones. All argent. Below it in the middle part of the base a vinestock is borne with a leaf, a bunch of grapes and a prop. All or.

The charges as symbols can be described as follows:

The corn refers to the special bond between local inhabitants and agriculture.

The phoenix as charge is a reference to the Calvinist faith of the majority of local inhabitants.

The vinestock and the bunch of grapes symbolise the ancient tradition of local viniculture, and, at the same time they are also references to rebirth and death.

The brief history of Lápafő can be described as follows:

The history of the settlement goes back to the year 1563. Lápafő then got mentioned in a contemporary Turkish register of Koppány as a settlement consisting of 12 houses. Lápafő was a Calvinist settlement, a fact, proven by the local histories of its neighbouring villages as well as contemporary ecclesiastical records.

Lajos Takács, the author of the book on Várong, entitled ’The Agriculture of a Cleared Settlement’, wrote the following statements in relation to Lápafő: ’Large land properties cover the area south of Várong, all of which came into being in formerly wooded areas belonging to the Esterházy and the Hunyadi families. The nearest village, Lápafő was the only Calvinist settlement among the Catholic ones and it consisted of the properties of lesser nobles. The Calvinist people of this village had originally arrived around 1710 from Becsvölgy, Zala County.’

The name of the settlement comes from the name of the small brook Lápa, which runs through the outer fields of the village. The present-day cemetery used to be the settlement’s ancient centre as it is attested by several finds which had been discovered on this spot. This ancient settlement got destroyed in the period of the Turkish reign and the new settlement of Lápafő came into being around 1734.

The settlement’s church was built in 1785 and the ragged natural stones of the houses of the ancient village were also used as building material. From 1848 onward Lápafő had its own secular schoolmasters – before that time ministers had worked in the village as teachers. The building of the school was erected at about the same time. The main occupation of the inhabitants was agriculture and animal husbandry. Some families had extensive land properties, while some others had only a few acres of land to work on. The rest of the inhabitants cultivated the fields of the wealthier landowning families. The male population of Lápafő participated in both world wars. After World War II a memorial was erected in the village to commemorate these heroes.

Károly Galgóczy (1823-1916), an agriculturist and writer, an associate member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences was born at Lápafő. It was in 1858 that he held his inaugural lecture at the Academy.