National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Lánycsók [¤]
Click to zoom

Lánycsók

(The County of Baranya)

The shape of the coat-of-arms follows the form that was typical in the 1700s. The top of the shield is two adjoining concave lines. The sides resemble the form of Kossuth's coat-of-arms as long as they are cut off by incurving lines; the only difference is that the lower sections are more pouched. The base is two adjoining wavy lines on each side, meeting in the centre in a point. The field is tierced per fess vert, argent and vert.

In the middle of the fess argent, in a circle argent overlapping the fess two men passant habited in jackets gules, slacks azure, and hats and boots sable, carrying on a pole (heveng) sable flung across their shoulders a giant bunch of grapes or.

The two men are borne on a trellised base argent. Above their heads in the middle, by the line bordering the circle, the year 1770 is to be seen in sable.

In the middle of the base vert under the circle the year 1991 is to be seen in sable.

The village of Lánycsók is situated not far from the town of Mohács in the county of Baranya. Together with Mohács, King László I (the Saint) bestowed it on the Bishop of Pécs. Following this, the settlement belonged to the estate of the bishop for nine centuries of its history.

During the Turkish occupation the village got totally devastated, but later it was rebuilt at a distance from its original location. For the inhabitants (there were 27 tax-paying heads of family) the main source of income were grape and must.

On 12 August, 1687, the southeastern part of Transdanubia was liberated from under the Turkish rule. This was followed by the moving of Greek Orthodox Serbians in the village of 'Lanchók'. The newcomers were settled here by Bishop Mátyás Radonczy of Croatian origin.

Later the area was destroyed by the insurrectionist armies of Imre Thököly and Ferenc Rákóczi, then by the Serbians, and finally there came the Black Death. According to the register of 1713, (Conscriptio Rascianorum), 41 Serbian settlers had moved into Lánycsók.

The first wave of the organised settling of Germans took place around 1711, during the reign of Maria Theresa. It was also around this time that the registers listing the dues related to socage were made.

In 1760 the Roman Catholic parish was established, and ecclesiastic registration started. In two years a single-classroomed school was also opened. The church was built between 1766 and 1773, and was consecrated to honour the Virgin Mary.

In 1771 the language of education at the school was German, whereas in 1773 a Greek Orthodox school was also in operation. In those years the number of inhabitants was 1,339. Out of the twelve craftsmen two were Hungarians, eight were German and one was Croatian.

At the beginning of the 1870s the Reading Circle of Lánycsók was formed, which later played an important role in the cultural life of the village.

Between 1918 and 1921 Lánycsók was under Serbian occupation, while in the second world war 98 local inhabitants died.

After the war a kindergarten was opened in 1949, and at the school they did not merge the different grades any more.

The village of Lánycsók is at present a dynamically developing settlement, which guarantees the peaceful co-existence of several nationalities.