National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Lácacséke [¤]
Click to zoom

Lácacséke

(Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County)

Spade shield and quarterly, azure and or. In fields azure a stag courant is borne, or, in its mouth a seven-petalled flower gules. (This charge was taken over from the old seal of the village of Láca.) In fields or seven-petalled flowers are borne, argent (white), issuing from a heart gules. (This charge was typical of the coat of arms of the village of Cséke.)

Shield is enframed by a wreath of sedge, vert, as well as a ribbon. The ribbon bears the settlement’s name LÁCACSÉKE.

The history of Lácacséke can be described as follows:

The village is located in the southeastern corner of the Bodrogköz region. The number of the inhabitants of the village is 440.

The area, surrounded by the rivers of Tisza, Latorca and Bodrog was a swampy and marshy place. Small settlements came into being on dry hilltops, the inhabitants of which lived from hunting, fishing and grazing livestock on the nearby pastures and at the edges of the marshes. Láca and Cséke were also small settlements of this type and they were both autonomus villages until as late as 1950.

The name Láca is of Slavic origin and it was first mentioned in 1364 in connection with a legal case; László Tárkányi and the members of the Eszenyi family went to court for the possession of the settlement. Later landowners of the settlement included the members of the Agárdi, Perényi, Dőry and Sennyei families.

It was in 1598 that the Láczay family got first mentioned in connection with the event that Péter Láczay became the owner of the settlement. The Calvinist church of the village was built in 1808, but in 1885 it was damaged by a great fire. Count József Mailáth also had large properties at Monyha farmstead until as late as 1945.

Before the second world war Láca was the centre of a notarial district and the villages of Cséke, Dámóc and Perbenyik were also administered from here.

The name of Cséke comes from an Árpád-age name. The settlement of Cséke got first registered in a papal tithe register of 1333. This settlement was the native village of the ancient Csékey family. They had a castle built in the village, too, which existed until as late as the 16th century. Later owners of the village included Zsófia Dobó and the members of the Pozsgai, Gerendi, Ilosvai and Sztankay families.

The majority of the inhabitants were affiliated with Greek Orthodoxy; the settlement’s church was erected in 1854 on the ruins of the ancient castle.

The Csékey family was described in the County Monographies (published in 1940) as a family of Ruthenian origin. Even today there are families in the village with surnames like Antalóczi, Zamatóczki and Fincziczki.

The two settlements of Láca and Cséke got united in 1950.

Lácacséke is a small village in the northeastern corner of the country’s Bodrogköz region. It has beautiful natural surroundings in the vicinity of the Slovak border. In the north the village is bordering on Királyhelmec (Slovakia), which is located at a distance of 15 kilometres from Lácacséke. Sárospatak and Sátoraljaújhely in the west can be found at a distance of 38-40 kilometres. Kisvárda is in the south in Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg County and it lies at 25 kilometres from here. All these settlements are easily accessible from Lácacséke by bus, car or bicycle.

Heavy industry never existed in this area and transiting traffic is also rare. This is why Lácacséke can offer fresh and clean air as well as beautiful and unpolluted environment to those who come here to visit or to stay.

The village has one main street and four side streets with 160 houses. The number of inhabitants is 440. Neighbouring settlements include Perbenyik in Slovakia, Dámóc in the east, Semjén in the south and the outer fields of the settlement are neighbouring on Ricse, Révleányvár and Őrhegy.

Lácacséke is one of the small settlements of the Bodrogköz region, which is located at a distance of 300 kilometres northeast of the capital.

The Tisza and the Bodrog rivers represented natural dividing lines for the villagers. The Trianon borders represented historical dividing lines, and this feature isolated the village of Lácacséke from the rest of the country and of the world.

Due to the isolatedness of the village the inhabitants were always eager to leave. The changing of the political system in Hungary in 1989, the construction of a bridge at Cigánd and Hungary’s joining the European Union are hopeful and promising new developments for Lácacséke. It would be another important step to open the border crossing station between Lácacséke on the Hungarian side and Perbenyik on the Slovak side. (At present there is a temporary border crossing point in the village which is open only once or twice a year.)

In the golden age of the settlement’s history, in the 1940s the number of inhabitants was 1400. Today this number is only 440.

In the Bodrogköz region, including the village of Lácacséke, people always lived from hard work. True, agricultural activities have by now lost part of their former importance, but hard and honest work, education and culture are important assets in modern life, too.

Visitors to Lácacséke can find beautiful grounds and streets, nice gardens and flower beds in the village. Both churches are open for visitors all the year round. In the summer period visitors are accomodated in the building of the Greek Orthodox parsonage.