National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Hövej
Click to zoom

Hövej

(The County of Győr-Moson-Sopron)

The coat-of-arms: Pointed base shield with arched divisions. The shield is divided into 2 equal parts. The upper field is light azure; the lower field is vert with a river azure. In the middle of the field azure a round shaped lace of Hövej. On the dexter and sinister an arched ear of wheat stretching into the field vert. Above the lace a two-pearled coronet or, symbolising nobility. On the sinister a moon argent symbolising change, on the dexter a six-pointed star symbolising hope and situated just above the ears of wheat.

The village of Hövej - a small settlement with 330 people - is situated in the County of Győr-Moson-Sopron, 8 kilometres southwest of Kapuvár on a flat area divided by brooks. It was first mentioned in 1280 in the Latin archives of the convent of Csorna as "Kétcsalád" ("Two families"). In the 1300s the settlement was mentioned as "Család" ("Family"). In the document dated from Pozsony in 1429 it is mentioned as "Hövej-család" (Heweychalad) ("Hövej-family"). The village was the property of the Nagymartoni family. In 1436 the letter of the convent of Csorna mentions it as Hövej (Hewey). The Fraknóis of the Nagymartoni family gave the village to the Premonstratensian provotship in 1445.

The name of the village became world-famous by the embroidery of Hövej. In 1962, on the Expo of Brussels, the lace was awarded with a golden medal. This type of embroidery became well known in the 19th century, at around 1860. The embroidery that is full of holes is made on flimsy material, such as batiste or chiffon. The holes on the embroidery of Hövej are filled up with different patterned knitting. This is called spider-stitch. Among the needle works there were shirts, aprons, handkerchiefs, kerchiefs, bed-covers, blouses, collars, tablecloths, wardrobe-linings, cushions, priestly garbs, surplices, altar-clothes. We can find different kinds of tablecloths: small, big, table runner, oval and round linings.

Roman Catholic Church: historic building. The single-naved Baroque building was probably built by the Premonstratensian provotship of Csorna at around 1735. Above its gable with a middle projection and a fractioned frontage a plain tower is rising with a stone spire. In front of the stone-framed door a hallway is found. Furniture: a Baroque high altar, the same age as the church; 4 candlesticks on it and a cup argent gilded made in 1765. The pulpit was created at around 1800 in empire style.