National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Horvátlövő [¤]
Click to zoom

Horvátlövő

(County Vas)

The local authority's coat-of-arms is a shield with a rounded base( at base party per fess gules and vert. Of the field gules, issuing from a ground vert (representing the village fields) a vine stock with a single bunch of grapes thereon on the dexter and two ears of wheat on the sinister, flanking a ploughshare bladed to the sinister, all argent. Tinctures: gules, vert and argent.

A brief history

Horvátlövő is situated in the county Vas, in the northeastern part of the valley of the river Pinka. Its inner area is 29.6991 hectares, the outer fields include 556.2498 hectares. The village borders on Vaskeresztes in the north, Pornóapáti in the south, Nárai in the east and the Austrian Németlövő (Deutsch-Schützen) in the west. The Hungarian-Austrian border runs parallel with the river Pinka.

Near the village there are significant lignite beds at a depth of 10-12 metres. The dominant area of local economy is agriculture pursued on private farms. In addition, there is a plant for growing understock and a fruit tree nursery, covering an area of 83.5577 hectares.

At present the number of inhabitants is 199. The majority are Croatians; moreover, there is some Hungarian and German-speaking population as well.

Based on archival evidence, no precise date as to the foundation of the village Horvátlövő can be identified. Considering the sources, data collections and chronicles that provide data on the settlement's history, it is certain that in 1221, when the abbey of the neighbouring Pornóapáti was founded, Horvátlövő did not exist, because it was not included as a neighbouring village in the document that described the abbey's geographical location.

It is a historically approved fact that the land possessions lying between the neighbouring Pornó and Keresztes so far owned by Tamás Bakócz, holder of the advowson for the Abbey of Pornó, went into the possession of Péter Erdődy in 1496.

The Turks, during their military campaign of 1532 against Vienna, plundered the whole area and destroyed everything that got in their way. Shortly afterwards, the first waves of people fleeing from the Croatian areas that had been occupied by the Turks settled down in the depopulated border region. As attested by authentic sources, in the years 1532-5 Count Péter Erdődy II and his wife Margit Tahy of Croatian descent settled down Croats from the Dalmatian regions Moslavina, Rovisce, Raca and Koprovnica on the banks of the river Pinka. In Horvátlövő fourteen Croatian families arrived, and formed a close community with the German and Hungarian families that were already living here. For a short period the village got into the possession of the Zrínyi family, who in 1592 invited further Croatian refugees.

The German-speaking population of Horvátlövő, then called Tóth-Sicz, was in 1715 transferred to the village of Deutsch-Schützen, situated on the western bank of the Pinka river, whereas the Croatian families living there were resettled in Horvátlövő. Traditional Croatian names like Bugnits, Bunits, Jusits, Majrits and Milisits are still to be found in the village. It was in 1613 that the village obtained a Croatian name, Horváth-Sicz, most similar to the present one. Later variations include Horváth Shitz, Horváth-lö and the German Kroatisch-Schützen. Around that time the village was dwelt by 38 families of landless serfs.

After the resettlement the dwellers were serfs, followed by farmers living in socage and landless village people. In addition to the cultivation of land, they also caught fish and hunted.

According to records, in the 18th century the people of Horvátlövő were famous throughout the comitat for breeding "Belgian" horses.

A register made after 1715 listed 32 farmer's houses and 26 landless serf families. This social stratification existed until 1960, when the co-operative farm was established.

The village fields are of average quality, allowing for two shifts of crops. The pastures and forests are only able to satisfy the villagers' own needs. According to the census of 1785 the number of the population was 283, whereas the settlement register of 1863 recorded 330 inhabitants.

As regards church districts, until 1797 Horvátlövő's Croatian dwellers had belonged to the parish of Nagynarda, the Germans to that of Németkeresztes. In 1797 the local parish got affiliated to that of Németlövő; then, after the Trianon Treaty, which ordered new borders to be drawn, it was attached to the parish of Németkeresztes. By unwritten tradition, the village's first church was constructed of wood in the early 18th century. The recent church was originally built in 1796-8 as a chapel to honour St Anne. Later it was enlarged several times; in 1836 a tower, in 1864 a sacristy was added.

The administrative duties with regard to Horvátlövő were mostly carried out by the office of the district notary. Prior to this, they had been performed by the vice sheriff seated at Szombathely, who was helped by elected magistrates. The seat of the district was Németkeresztes between 1872 and 1906, followed by Németlövő in 1907-23. The Trianon Peace Treaty ordered that Horvátlövő be attached to Austria. Following an Austrian occupation of 18 months, due to the patriotic determination shown by the inhabitants of the detached territories, on 10 January 1923, when Magistrate András Pehm was in office, Horvátlövő returned to Hungary.

Until 1950 the village belonged to the district notary of Pornóapáti. During the time of the soviet-type administrative system, from 28 October 1950 till 30 September 1966 it was an independent administrative unit. Then, until 30 June 1970 Pornóapáti was the centre of administration, followed by Felsőcsatár until 31 December 1990. Since 1 January 1991, the village has again belonged to the district notary of Pornóapáti.

In the 19th century Horvátlövő already had an elementary school, where eleven teachers had worked in succession until it was transferred to the district school of Felsőcsatár in 1974.

The voluntary fire brigade formed in 1894, while their station was built in the years 1899-1900.

Until 1949, when the iron curtain fell, the villagers had had a special permit to cross the border to Austria.

The border guard barracks were built in 1956-7, the buildings of the co-operative farm between 1961-3 and 1964-74, and the cultural centre in 1964-6. The doctor's surgery and the office of the local authority were opened in 1999.