National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Homokszentgyörgy [¤]
Click to zoom

Homokszentgyörgy

(Somogy County)

Shield erect, party per fess, damasked vert and or, its base curved to a point. In dexter chief a symmetrically charged oak leaf couped, or is borne and in sinister chief an ear of corn couped, or is horizontally borne. The stalks of both charges point toward fess point. The oak leaf as well as the ear of corn are symbolical of local forestry and agriculture.

The damasked field, or symbolises the sandy soil of the region. In the centre of this field mounted on a horse effaré, a chevalier is borne, armed with a spear in his dexter hand and stabbing the dragon borne couped in the base, all sable.

The central charge of the shield represents the figure of St. George, the denominator of the village.

The charge of St. George and the dragon is the graphic reproduction of the famous statue by Brothers Márton and György Kolozsvári, cast in about 1380 and which is to be found in Prague today.

The vertically held spear in the hand of the mounted warrior is dividing the chief into two symmetrical parts.

Above the shield the inscription 'HOMOKSZENTGYÖRGY' is borne.

Easter-Inner-Somogy is a region covering the area from Lake Balaton to the River Dráva. Homokszentgyörgy is situated in the southern part of this region. It is a relatively plain area, its soil is suitable for cultivation, especially for growing potato. The construction of the Kaposvár-Barcs railway line (Homokszentgyörgy used to have a railway station) gave a new impetus to the development of the village. In 1941 the number of inhabitants exceeded 1,700. From the 1950s onward the the number of local population began to decline and this process would speed up in the 1970s when the railway service was discontinued. Today the number of local inhabitants is around 1,270. At Homokszentgyörgy the communal services are good. The first data concerning the birth of the settlement are from 1425 and in the Treasury tax sheets of 1565 it was mentioned by the name Mura-Szent-György.