National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Homokkomárom [¤]
Click to zoom

Homokkomárom

(Zala County)

Heart-shaped shield erect, its base is rounded; a form, which became common in the 14th century. The sides of the shield are slightly arched, the upper corners are cut off. In accordance with classical heraldic rules Homokkomárom’s coat-of-arms is tinctured gules, azure, vert and or. Shield is partitioned tiercely with straight lines or, so it is simultaneously party per fess and party per pale and contoured or. In upper dexter field gules a three-pointed verdured crown or is borne, a common charge in contemporary coats-of-arms. In upper sinister field vert a stylised grape-motif is borne or, a charge, which symbolises the fertility of Homokkomárom’s fields as well as the abundance of wine, the chief local produce. In the base, which represents the largest part of the village’s coat-of-arms, Homokkomárom’s major sight, the church is depicted. The local church is part of a monastery complex, which is a well-known shrine, a favoured excursion spot as well as a place for pilgrimages. The charge of the church is tinctured proper, contoured or and it is depicted standing on a mound vert in field azure. This simplified charge is to symbolise the picturesque surroundings of the settlement.

In the middle of the shield, at the meeting point of its individual parts, a circular-shaped charge is borne, the symbol of the Virgin Mary. This charge is identical with the motif, seen on the ceiling of the local church. The circular line is chevronny and the letters in the centre read ’Maria’. Above the letters the charge of a cross is borne at a slant.

The chief characteristic feature of Homokkomárom’s coat-of-arms is its simplicity. All the charges are clear and eligible, the pure tinctures together with the golden contour give the settlement’s coat-of-arms a unified appearance.

The settlement was first mentioned as Humukcumar as early as 1293 and the name has been used in its present-day form since 1741. The origin of the settlement’s name goes back to the word ’Kamar’, a person’s name. In the 16th century the village was inhabited by several nobiliary families, consequently, it was then a settlement of some significance. After it got devastated by the Turkish troops in the 17th century, Homokkomárom was deserted by its inhabitants. Later, after the year 1777 settlers reappeared at Homokkomárom, who had come from different countries, so the local priests had to preach in Hungarian, German and also in Croatian. Franciscans arrived from Kanizsa in 1747 and they settled down at Homokkomárom. Their monasrtery burnt down in 1777. The settlement’s Roman Catholic church, built on a hilltop outside the village, was completed during the patronage of Lajos Batthyány. The church was renovated in 1878, then again in 1939-40, when a crypt and an undercroft were by chance discovered. Its crenellated facade and the main alta, richly decorated with columns, its rococo-style pulpit, as well as the Franciscan nunnery built next to the church building are all ancient witnesses of the settlement’s religious life. The 13th day of each month is the Day of Atonement. The church is open to the public all the year round.

Homokkomárom is also famous for its wines, which is grown on a nearby hill. Annually, at the end of February the village is the scene of nationally famous wine-tasting competition. The local folk choir as well as the children’s folk dance ensemble actively participate in this event. Famous folk artists at Homokkomárom include Tamás Bodó, a candle maker and Mrs. Józsefné Bella, a singer and teller of folk tales.

Homokkomárom

The village is located at the edge of the Principális Valley, at a distance of 13 kilometres northwest of Nagykanizsa. It used to be inhabited by Germans, but the inhabitants speak Hungarian these days. The oldest document, in which the name of the settlement got mentioned as Humukcumar goes back to 1293. The Roman Catholic church of the village, which was built in the early 18th century and it is a listed building. The main altarpiece of the church was unearthed in 1722, when the foundations of the building were made. The painting, depicting the Virgin Mary holding thre Holy Infant, was likely to have been made in the 17th century, and it was adored as a wonder-working image throughout the 18th century. The relic of St. Felix, a child saint was donated to Homokkomárom by Pope Benedict XIV.