National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Municipality of Hőgyész [¤]
Click to zoom

Hőgyész

(The County of Tolna)

The coat-of-arms is a military shield erect framed sable. In the field azure on a ground vert a vine stock fructed, proper.

On the soil vert an ermine saliant contourné argent, symbolising the origin of the settlement's name.

In the blue field representing relatedness the symbols of eternity are borne: a sun rayonnant or on the dexter, and a moon increscent argent on the sinister.

Hőgyész, a settlement of 3200 inhabitants is situated in the southern part of the region Hegyhát, in the centre of the County of Tolna. The municipality with urban characteristics lies in a valley and is literally divided in two by the main road.

The urban characteristics are due to historical development, since in as early as 1753 Hőgyész was raised to the rank of market town by Empress Maria Theresa, then for 200 years it has functioned as a regional centre with booming trade and crafts.

The settlement is of Mediaeval origin. The area had already been inhabited for centuries when King László IV (the Cuman) in a letter dated Segesd, 1277, bestowed the local fields on Simon,a royal judge, speaking of Hőgyész as a village of 'royal servants'. It was the characteristic feature of the age of the Árpáds in Hungarian history that the villages paid their taxes in the form of different services performed for the members of the estates in power. This settlement was to pay the nearby court of Prince Tevel with ermeline fur, hence the name of the village. In Finno-Ugrian the hunter for ermines (hölgymenyét) was called hőgyész. The Hungarian word hölgy used to denote all females, later this original meaning was narrowed down and it was only used when speaking about small and graceful animals or about graceful and noble women. This latter meaning is still detectable in the language, although the other one has long disappeared. Its memory has been kept alive only by the names of two Hungarian settlements, Hőgyész and Kemeneshőgyész.

For centuries Hőgyész was part of the Simontornya estate. It is evident from the carefully compiled Turkish tax registers that in 1563 there were 66 heads of families at Hőgyész, which means there could have been about 180 inhabitants. By the end of the 17th century as an independent estate Hőgyész got into the possession of the Botka family and it was them from whom the Treasurer and Chief Falconer of the Holy Empire Count Sinzendorf purchased it in 1700. During the last stages of the anti-Turkish fights this part of the country got almost entirely depopulated, all the settlements weret burnt down and the inhabitants fled.

Hőgyész, practically a ghost village, and 30 other settlements were purchased in 1722 by Count Claudius Florimundus Merci, the Emperor's general and the Governor of Temes. He is rightfully honoured as the founder of modern Hőgyész. It was with much enthusiasm that he got down to work and organised the re-settlement of the village. The new owner also wanted to transform Hőgyész into a modern centre for his estates. A year later the settlement was already mentioned as a 'manorial residence' and several German families, especially craftsmen, who were on their way to the south were invited to settle down here, sometimes forcefully. During the several decades of the resettlement 265 families found new homes here.

The cold determination of the Mercis as well as the diligence of the new German settlers soon transformed Hőgyész into a booming market town. A factory(!), the Lini Fabrika Textile and Dyeing Factory also began to operate at Hőgyész, but, of course, amidst the general feudal conditions this venture was not viable on the long run.

The approximately 100 local craftsmen represented 40 different trades. All kinds of products were made in their workshops from simple nails to sophisticated golden jewellery.

Many new buildings were erected at this time including a manor house, a church, a school and a Baroque chapel at nearby Csicsó, which later became the burial place of the landowning families.

In 1773 the ownership of Hőgyész was taken over by Antal György Apponyi (1751-1817). He was one of the most educated aristocrats of his own age and from 1780 onwards he was the lord-lieutenant of the County of Tolna as well. Hőgyész was steadily growing during those 150 years when the members of the Apponyi family were its landlords.

Around 1760 the one-storey mansion was enlarged into a two-storey building. The listed building, an example of Baroque style, was restored by Miklós Ybl in 1890 and even today it represents, together with the beautiful park surrounding it, the main attraction of the settlement.

The Baroque parish church of Hőgyész, also built by the Apponyi family was consecrated in 1799 and its chief altarpiece, The Assumption, is a work of art by János Boros Nepomuk. The church itself as well as its organ were beautifully restored a few years ago.

For their servants' children the Apponyis founded a kindergarten and a girls' school on their estate in the 1880s. A music school was also established within the walls of the mansion, and since the Count was also the county's lord lieutenant at the time, the county assemblies were also frequently held here. In 1846 it was also this mansion that the famous Hungarian composer, Ferenc Liszt enjoyed the hospitality of the Apponyi family.

After the death of Géza Apponyi the land possessions at Hőgyész were inherited by Alfréd Lichtenstein who moved here together with his entire family. The prince-engineer is still remembered at Hőgyész for having achieved admirable results in economy and for having demonstrated democratic sympathies in politics.

The settlement has preserved its former characteristics related to textile industry and agriculture until recently.

Although some old trades have disappeared by now, but even today Hőgyész boasts a larger number of craftsmen than other settlements of the same size. The village continued to develop in the recent past as well, and as a result a new and impressive cultural centre was built in the late 1970s.

Public buildings and squares feature a lot of art works at Hőgyész, including works by Pál Pátzay, Lajos Újvári, Ádám Würtz and the artists, husband and wife, Garányi-Staindl.

The ceramic ornamental well is a major sight of the spacious and green village centre. The well is adorned with the statue of a beautiful lady holding an ermine. The art work was probably inspired by the beauty of Leonardo da Vinci's well-known painting on the same theme.