National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Hídvégardó [¤]
Click to zoom

Hídvégardó

(Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County)

The settlement’s coat-of-arms can be described as follows:

Military shield erect, its base is curved to a point. The two sides as well as the upper edge of the shield are arched. In base a bridge argent is borne; above the charge of the bridge a tree is borne encouped, below the bridge a coulter and a ploughshare, both or, with their edges turning toward the outer part of the shield. Shield is adorned with a three-pointed verdured crown or and it is decorated with gems. Two oak branches are borne as supporters. Below the shield a ribbon is borne encouped with the settlement’s name HÍDVÉGARDÓ inscribed in it.

Hídvégardó’s coat-of-arms is one of the so-called canting arms, since it recalls the settlement’s history.

Hídvég, the anterior constituent of the settlement’s name is a reference to the fact that the village is accessible through the bridge across the Bódva river and it can be left via the bridge across the Sas brook. This is why the charge of a bridge is borne in the settlement’s coat-of-arms. The word ’ardó’ in Hungarian means ’forest belt’, a reference to the fact that the predecessors of today’s inhabitants used to deal with forestry. The same fact is emphasised by the motif of the tree in the settlement’s coat-of-arms.

The village of Hídvégardó can be briefly introduced as follows:

The settlement is located in the northern part of Borsod-Abaúj Zemplén, in the vicinity of the Slovak border. It can be found at the northern edge of the hilly area of Torna, at the western foot of the hills of Nagy-kő and Nyerges with the Bódva river nearby. The settlement borders on the Aggtelek National Park, which is a World Heritage Site. With its rare species of plants and animals, its unique geological formations as well as with its marshes Hídvégardó is part of the Cserehát landscape protection area.

Originally it was a one-street settlement, its axis was the ditch stretching from the direction of Feltelek.

The Catholic church can be found in the settlement’s fusiform centre.

The first written mention of Hídvégardó’s name goes back to 1283. The posterior constituent of the settlement’s name –ardó - comes from the phrase ’erdő óvó’, that is the protector of woods. The anterior constituent of the settlement’s name, Hídvég, signifies the bridge on the Bódva river. In the Middle Ages the village was part of Szádvár. As early as the 14th century Hídvégardó belonged to the village of Szádvár. In the 14th century the local inhabitants had a school built in the village and the mansion of Tamás Bakócz, an archbishop of Eger was also completed at about the same time.

In the early 18th century the settlement was depopulated and it was resettled only in the 1730s. From the 18th century onward the members of the Gedeon family were the greatest landowners in the settlement and they owned the village until as late as the early 20th century. Two other landowners of significance were the members of the Papp and the Soltész families.

Due to the peace treaty of Trianon Hídvégardó became a border-zone settlement, but it was and still is a border crossing point.

From 1950-1990 hídvégardó was an administrative centre. Today it gives home to several regional institutions including a kindergarten, a school, a canteen, a health centre, a dental surgery, a family counselling centre, a pharmacy, ambulance station, an arts and crafts centre as well as a telecommunications centre. Hídvégardó is a district notarial centre, the number of its inhabitants is about 760.

The sights of the village are as follows:

The settlement’s Baroque Roman catholic church was built in 1777 to replace the old one. The Calvinist church of Hídvégardó was built from 1794-97, and after it got burnt down the church was rebuilt in 1837. The Gedeon mansion, representing Baroque style (Village Hall today) was built abot 1770, why the Papp mansion (a canteen today), which represents Folk Classicism was built about 1830. The Gedeon crypt can be found in the northern section of the fence of the Catholic church, to which the Millenial Square is linked with the statue of the Holy Trinity and a memorial to the heroes, Int he south the church borders on the Millenial Square, in which a cast iron statue of St. John of Nepomuc is borne.

Photos:

- Gedeon Castle

- Millennium Square

- Papp Mansion