National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Hidegség
Click to zoom

Hidegség

(Győr-Moson-Sopron County)

The coat of arms of the local government: in the green field of a rectilinear sided, vertical shield that is ending in a point, leaf-covered grape-vines with blue bunches are falling from the left and the right on a left-facing, floating silver ploughshare.

On both sides of the shield three billowy bandages are connecting the shield with the – as a wreath – surrounding red textfield. On the (in accordance with the rules of heraldry) left of the textfield: HIDEGSYD, the first written mentioning of the settlement, on the right the Croatian name of the village: VEDEŚIN, above in the middle the present name of the community: HIDEGSÉG, down in the middle the date of the first written mentioning of the settlement: 1274 and the year of the creation of the coat of arms which is the year of the Millennium: 2000 can be seen in black.

Introduction of the village Hidegség

Hidegség lies in the western region of Győr-Moson-Sopron county, 17 km east of Sopron. Geographically the village belongs to the Ikva-basin, which is the part of the western hungarian confine. During the history the nearness of the Lake-Fertő, lying north of the village, determined the life of inhabitants, for example the lakeside provided favourable conditions for vegetable production.

Traffic-geography of Hidegség is also very propitious, since the ’route along the Lake’, connecting Sopron with Fertőd, passes through the village. In addition the village is in connection with the main road 85, by means of the 3 km long service road to Nagycenk.

The name of the village was given after the cool spring arisen from the Dézsma-cellar. Neolithic and Roman artifacts were found in the boarder of the village – which numbers 301 inhabitants at present.

Written sources mentioned the settlement as Hydegsyd firstly in 1274, then in 1283. In these charters the Osl family was mentioned as the owner of the village. However, in the next centuries landowners alternated eachother quite frequently. In the 15th century the inhabitants of the village had to endure the fight of the neighbouring landowners and in the 16th century they had to bother the frequent turkish harassment.

At the beginning of the 16th century the hungarian inhabitants escaped from the village, and in place of them croatian settlers arrived between 1532-1534, then in 1704 there was another significant croatian settlement. As a result of this process, the rate of the croatian population reached such a big number, that until 1833 there was only croatian education in the school.

Hidegség numbered 554 inhabitants in 1900, 589 in 1930, but in 1997 there were only 303 dwellers.

The waves of the collectivization reached the village in 1950 at first, then in the 60s the farmer’s co-operative of Hidegség joined the one of Hegykő, so the economical decisions got out of the competence of the local people. The autonomous council was broken off, so the administration of Hidegség was belonging to Hegykő until the political changes of 1989.

The strong urbanization caused unfavourable processes. From the 60s a lot of people left the village, so the number of inhabitants reduced largely, consequently recently there are only 301 dwellers. In the village there is an ageing population, since the rate of older people is almost 40%.

In the settlement there is neither nursery school, nor primary school. In spite of the fact that Hidegség is quite a small village, it has developed infrastructure. The village works a lot to cultivate tourism, (e.g. building of bicycle road, beautifying the village).

On the hill over the village there is a significant monument, the St. Andrew’s Church, which is prominent is western-Transdanubiam. The murals in the apse are spectacular for visitors, such as the rotunda architecture, to which similar can be found only in Carinthia or in south-Tirol.

The beautiful church-monument dominate the entire village, because of its higher datum level. It belongs to the history of the church, that a baroque-styled tower was built in 1748.

During the Hungarian Millenium, the celebration of statehood, the tower was renovated.

The rate of the croation speaker population is 55-60%. It’s a pity, that the youth doesn’t speak or understand the language.

The local-selfgovernment organizes programs to awake the affection of the croatian language, and tries to introduce the gentilitial settlement’s culture. So for the sake of the cause a Gentilitial Day should be organized.