National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Hevesaranyos [¤]
Click to zoom

Hevesaranyos

(Heves County)

When creating the settlement’s coat-of-arms an old seal print of 1782 was considered.

The local government’s coat-of-arms can be described as follows:

Shield erect, its base curved to a point, contoured or. Top of the shield is adorned by leaves of oak trees, the tree species, typical of the village.

In base mounds vert are borne, charges, which refer to the natural configurations of the local terrain and also to the geographical location of the settlement between the Mátra and the Bükk hills. The ploughshare, borne above the mounds is a reference to the old wax seal of the village. On the dexter side an ear of corn, or, which is an emblem of local agriculture.

In the middle a stag’s trophy, a symbol of the species of big game, native to the hilly area outside the village. In chief the charge of an apple is borne, an emblem, which refers to the main fruit crop grown by the inhabitants.

The tinctures of the settlement’s coat-of-arms can be interpreted as follows:

Azure: health, pure waters, clean air

Vert: natural beauty, hunting, agriculture and forestry.

Hevesaranyos (called Aranyos until 1903) is located in Heves County, between the Mátra and the Bükk hills. It is a settlement in the Ózd-Epercsehi basin and it lies at a distance of 20 kilometres northwest of Eger. It has a cul-de-sac layout with the Aranyos brook, the western branch of the Laskó brook running through the village centre.

The name of the settlement was first mentioned in writing in 1295 in the form Anaras. In 1497 the village was owned by the chapter of Eger and this ownership subsisted until as late as 1945. It was around 1658 that the local serfs leased uncultivated lands in the vicinity of Bükkszenterzsébet and Pósváralja from owner László Gagybátori. In 1689 the inhabitants were compelled to fulfil heavy transport duties and it was their fear of their district administrator that made them leave the village and flee to the nearby woods. The settlement got soon resettled afterwards. In 1696 only 6 serfs lived in the village. In 1707 Ferenc Rétety, castellan of Eger, acquired Pósváralja from the inhabitants of Aranyos, who, then, lodged a complaint to Prince Rákóczi. The prince responded by prohibiting Rétety from trespassing.

The name of Butaj-puszta, part of present-day Hevesaranyos, was first mentioned in 1295 in the form of Buthey. In 1786 the number of its inhabitants was 419, then in 1860 the number of local inhabitants reached 680. After 1945 the village of Hevesaranyos began to spread eastward, toward the direction of Butaj.

On October 22, 1950 an independent local council was established at Hevesaranyos. At that time the settlement belonged to the district of Pétervására and when it ceased to exist in 1966 Hevesaranyos joined the district of Eger. In 1972 the neighbouring villages of Bátor and Hevesaranyos had a joint administration and it was called the Joint Council of Bátor. On January 1, 1984 it became a suburban settlement of the town of Eger. Following the elections of 1990 the village regained its independent status and during the elections of 1994 the inhabitants of the village elected their own mayor to chair the 7-member local government. From 1998 onward there is a 3-member Roma Local Council as well at Hevesaranyos.

A unique feature of the village is that the church, which is located right in the middle of the settlement, divides Hevesaranyos into Upper ans Lower Villages. Within these larger areas the smaller districts of the village are called ’Szögs’ and the individual houses as ’’hads’, as it is attested by the names Boroszög or Pelle-had.

By their religious affiliation the inhabitants of the village represent Roman Catholicism.

Architectural and art monuments in the village include the following features:

The one-towered church in the centre of the village was built between 1829 and 1832 in neo-Baroque style and it was consecrated in 1832 to honour St. John, the Baptist. Its patron was the chapter of Eger. The cross in front of the church building was erected by Márton Sípos in 1841.

A memorial plaque on the wall of the primary school commemorates the local victims of the two world wars. In 2001 a Memorial Park with a Memorial Column in the middle was established in front of the church to commemorate the millenium of Hungary. It was also on this occasion that the village’s coat-of-arms and flag were created.

As far as the future plans at Hevesaranyos are concerned the inhabitants of the village intend to contribute to the growth of tourism, especially by promoting rural and equestrian tourism. They want to utilise the natural beauty of the village and of its environs, as well as the favourable local conditions. The construction of paved roads toward Bükkszék and Pétervására would also improve the accessibility of Hevesaranyos.