National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Hetvehely [¤]
Click to zoom

Hetvehely

(Baranya County)

Hungarian shield erect and adorned with the dates of 1730 and 1790, both of which are related to the history of the German-speaking inhabitants of Hetvehely.

In the middle the inscription is ’Hetvehely der Gemein’ and it is inscribed in a circular form; in base the settlement’s Hungarian name ’HETVEHELY’ is inscribed .

In the middle of the circle three ears of corn, a ploughshare and a coulter are borne.

Shield diagonally partitioned, chief azure, base vert.

Dates and the inscriptions as well as the charges are all argent.

The brief history of the settlement:

In a geographical sense the village of Hetvehely is located at the meeting point of the Mecsek range of hills and the undulating area of Zselic. It is considered to be part of the Zselic region. Hetvehely lies at a distance of 25 kilometres from the county seat. It is accessible by rail as well as by road. The traveller can go through the picturesque Mecsek range and touch the small villages of Orfű, Abaliget, Kővágószöllős and Bakonya, or arrives from the direction of Sásd and Oroszló.

The Village of Hetvehely is an Árpád-Age settlement; this fact is attested by its old church. The contemporary name of the village first occurred in writing in the form ’Hethfehel’ in 1542 The settlement’s name is a compound word and it derived from the Hungarian word ’Hétfő’ (Monday in English) and ’hely’ (place). This name can be explained by the fact that Monday used to be the weekly market day in the village. In 1559 the settlement was owned by the Chapter of Pécs. In the period of the Turkish Conquest the village got depopulated and it was resettled in 1733 at a new place. The 18th century settlers included Hungarians, Croatians and Germans,; the latter community was soon to dominate in the village. After the second world war part of the village’s German inhabitants got resettled elsewhere.

The Roman Catholic church of Hetvehely is an architectural mounument; it was built at the end of the 13th century in Gothic style. In the 14th, then in the 18th centuries the church was repeatedly rebuilt and enlarged. The church interior is famous for its medieval frescoes as well as for its 14th century baptismal font.

The Joint Council in Hetvehely came into being on October 1, 1962. The old system of local councils ceased to exist in 1990, when the Hungarian political system changed. The neighbouring villages of Okorvölgy and Szentkatalin established autonomous local governments, but they became part of a joint notarial district. Today Hetvehely is the centre of the joint notarial district and five settlements, namely Hetvehely, Husztót, Kovácsszénája, Okorvölgy and Szentkatalin are part of the joint notarial district.