National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Hetes
Click to zoom

Hetes

(The County of Somogy)

The coat of arms: Rounded base party per pale, chief filed party per fess. In first field vert seven six-pointed stars argent (six in a round, one in the middle). In second field azure on a mound vert a double-tailed lion or armoured with gules, turned to the dexter, standing on a coronet or. In dexter leg holding three arrows argent turned downwards, sinister leg stretching out.In third field gules on a wreath of leaves or a flute or bend sinister.

The introduction of the village Hetes:

Hetes is situated 11 kilometres to the northeast of Kaposvár. It is connected by road to Kaposvár, Marcali and Somogysárd. In 1997 a 3.6 kilometre-long road to Kaposmérő has been started to be built, the investment worths 70 million Forints. Kaposvár is easily reached by coaches, they run in every hour. Hetes is along the railways connecting Fonyód and Kaposvár, and Gyékényes and Kaposvár, it is halfway (7 kilometres) between the stations Kaposfüred and Kaposmérő.

The village is surrounded by smaller hills and gentle slopes, its climate is pleasant, the soil is fertile. The quality of the soil was praised by the villagers; there was a saying according to which the soil of Hetes can be used as manure. The village is on a watershed territory, on the north waters flow towards Lake Balaton, on the south towards the river Kapos. The biggest creek of the neighbourhood is the Hidasi-árok.

The etymology of the village can be traced back to the numeral 7 (hetes meaning seven in Hungarian), its inhabitants were servants of the crown, they were free farmers. The village’s name is first mentioned in 1237, in the records of Jakab, Archdeacon of Somogy as a village with a church. In 1236 the village was donated to Valiant Herbord by king Béla, IV. The map hanging in the parliament signed Hetes with double ring; in 1490 it has become a town. In the 15th century, king Matthias gave the land to his son, János Corvin, and the settlement also got the right of fairholding. During the Ottoman era the right has been suspended, until 1847. The 1563 tax records of the Ottomans mention 40 houses in Hetes. According to the records of Pannonhalma, it belonged to the castle of Csobánc in 1660.

In the 18th century, the village was the property of the Jankovich family, and later, in 1842, count Pongrác Somssich bought it. At the beginning of the century the village had 1100 inhabitants. At the end of 1944 the inhabitants of the village were evacuated east of the Fonyód-Kaposvár railway. In 1945 only 1200 acres of land were distributed among the inhabitants, and 186 of them got land to live on. The first collective farm was founded in 1952, the Béla Vikár Agricultural Collective Farm was founded in 1959. The village has become the place of the central council of the villages Csombárd, Hetes and Juta. After the change of the regime, Juta has left the notary in 1990.

Béla Vikár was born in Hetes (April, 1st 1859. – September, 22nd 1945., Dunavecse). He was an ethnographer and a translator. His 1909 translation of the Finnish Kalevala is one of the most important works of Hungarian literature. In 1890 he noted the folk poetry of Somogy county, his notes were recorded by Béla Bartók.

Another famous son of the village was Lajos Pete (October, 3rd, 1867. – August 2nd, 1924., Budapest). He was a lawyer, a judge, who became famous as a musician, and more importantly as a song composer. Mainly he wrote music to his brother’s, Márton Pete, poems, most of his songs can be heard nowadays as well.

Most of the village’s population is Roman Catholic, but there are a relatively great number of Calvinists, and several Methodist families. The Roman Catholic church was built in 1769, the Calvinist between 1844-47, and the Methodist in 1996. In the village there are 8 gypsy families.

The elementary school and the kindergarten bear the name of Imre Somssich, who was the founder of them. The kindergarten has 42 children, while the school has 142 pupils in 8 groups. There are 21 teachers in the school, and in 1996 a new method has been introduced, which has a basis of wide activities. There are 10 compulsory courses, and pupils can choose from a variety of 22 additional courses according to their interests and talents, so most of the students have an individual schedule. Communicational skills, informatics, languages and art have an important role. The pedagogical program is made for further training, so the school has strong ties with the Soros foundation. The institution has a computer and a language laboratory, and there are 15 artistic groups in it. With the help of the Önfeledt Gyermekosolyért (For Happy Smiles of Children) Foundation, the optional courses are offered without charge. An association of Hetes and Csombárd has been founded to operate a school bus.

In the surgery there is a general practitioner with one assistant to serve the patients of Hetes and Csombárd. The dentist and the midwife serve Juta as well. There is a women’s protection centre in the village as well. The Village House was built in the eighties, and the pharmacy and the post office can be found there. One room belongs to the local government, the other to the pensioners’ association, where there is a club for elderly people. In the culture house every week there is a projection, it also gives place to several youth, pensioner or civil events. It also serves as a youth club and a fishing club. In the last 6 years only one public building has been built, and this was the arena of the school. During the day children have their PE classes in it, while in the evening the adults of the village can use it as well for a fee. The local government has bought conditioner instruments. In 1997 a foundation was founded which promotes the healthy life of the villagers with special respect to the football team of the village. In the village there are 6 general stores, the local government has signed a contract with the restaurant of the village about the social catering of the elderly people. There are a several pubs and confectioneries.

In the economic life of the village the collective farms had a very important role, which has been the working place for 300 people. The collective farm was dissolved in the 1990’s. Nowadays the farm employs barely 30 people. The agricultural activity in the village remained important, though; the former workers of the collective farm started their own enterprise. Several of the have 100-200 acres of land, while the others only 50-100 acres. They grow wheat, sweet corn, potatoes and sugar beets, as well as grapes and other fruits, these latter however only enough for the families of the village. Most of the population of the village has a job in Kaposvár. The unemployment rate is 12 %. Horticulture is important in Hetes: On the Pál-hegy there are 100 parcels and 60 weekend houses, on the Futtató-hegy there are 60 parcels and 25 weekend houses. There is no proper road to the suburbs, there are no water pipes, and lately the building of the electrical system has been done.

In the hobby gardens people grow fruits, vegetables and grapes. Parcels were mainly sold in the 1980’s. There are very good fishing opportunities in Hetes, a lot of people from Kaposvár and other cities of the country come here regularly. The Pogányvölgyi reservoir was built in 1961, it has belonged to the collective farm, now it is the property of the Béla Vikár Fishing Association. The association has 1656 adult and 30 youth members. There are a lot of fishes in the lake: carps, pikes, and catfish.

There is a local newspaper in the village: Hetesi Híradó. It is published every three months on eight pages with actual information in the edition of the mayor.

The Lajos Pete Pensioners’ Association has a choir as well, 20 elderly people have been rehearsing every week for two years now, they sing on cultural events of the neighbourhood. The association also organizes excursions, meetings, exhibitions and balls. The youth club, which was founded in 1997 also can be found in the Village House. The club has 30 members, they have a theatre group as well.

A foundation for the safety of Hetes was founded, its members go on a patrol every night.

Photos:

01. Silver Maple Basic Service Center and House for Retired People

02. Lake

03. Heros’ statue of World War I, and World War II.

04. Roman Catholic church

05. Methodist church

06. Mayor’s Office

07. Calvinist church

08. Imre Somssich elementary school and kindergarten

09. The statue of Béla Vikár