National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The coat-of-arms of the Village of Hernyék
Click to zoom

Hernyék

(The County of Zala)

Pointed base shield erect, symmetric. In the lower third of the shield a coat-of-arms party per fess in its lower third by two convex and between them a concave arched adjoining line and party per pale in the upper field by a vertical straight line.

In the upper field gules a verdured tree vert, in the upper sinister field azure a pine tree vert, between the fields, at the split, in both fields a bell cage symmetric, or is borne.

In the middle of the lower field vert an oak leaf or and ears of wheat sable crossed and turned round by 45 degrees to each other.

The access road diverges from road 75 connecting the village into traffic, situated 7 kilometres from Lenti and Nova, that is a beautifully situated village surrounded by woods. The village is located in the area of Göcsej, in the woody area of South-Göcsej. The chain of hills is varied, cut up by valleys. Its soil is usually poor quality with bad economy of water-supplies.

Its climate is rainier than the average in the country, moderately warm with milder winters. Its natural vegetation is deciduous wood, especially beeches. The area is rich in mushroom, which is an important living source of the population.

History

The village was first mentioned in 1332: Hernech. It kept the Slav personal name Hernek practically without any changes: “Terra Herneek”. In 1324 it became the property of the Bánffy family in Lendva.

The village was the property of the landowner named Kunche in the beginning of the 14th century, then bailiff Miklós from the Hahót nation got it from the king together with other estates. In 1472 the owner of Hernyék was györgy Őzi from Szentpéterföld. In 1521 it was owned by the Bánffy family when the chaplain of the chapel of Saint Ilona from Lendva got it for the right of usefruct.

In 1524 the owner of the settlement was János Bánffy, when 21 serfs lived here in 6 plots and 16 half-plots. King Matthias gave the whole area of Hernyék to Miklós Bánffy, Lord Lieutenant of Pozsony, because the former owner had no heirs. The settlement belonged to the Bánffy family until 1644. In1663 the Hernyék praedium belonged to the Nádasdy family. After the death and forfeiture of property of Ferenc Nádasdy the village became the property of the Chamber. As a territory devastated by the Turks it became a wasteland, and it was used by the serfs of the neighbouring villages. In 1678, the Hungarian Chamber gave the uninhabited area to Mihály Peszleg. He and his successors got a session and overall exemption because they were heirs. The settlers who followed them got exemption for only 6 years, yet a lot of people arrived. Together with the domain of Lendva it became the property of the Esterházy family in 1690. Until 1690 the settlement was under Turkish occupation, the landlord was Funduk pasha of Kanizsa. A registration from 1720 describes how the people lived at that time. They used two coarse rotation, for 1 Bratislavan cubic cords grows 1 and a half. They planted mainly wheat, rye, buckwheat and oat. They had grazing lands and woods for everyday use. Their vineyards gave 2 urns of vine for 1 hoed vineyard. In 1778 the number of population is 187.

Hernyék was the outparish of Páka, the inhabitants were all Catholics.

In the 19th century the number of houses was 71, the number of inhabitants was 422. The public education of the village was served by an elementary school and a general post-graduate school. Before 1848 the settlement was a fee estate. The office of district-notary was in Csömödér.

The registry office was in Páka until 1922 and then in Csömödér. The culture was served by the elementary school with one classroom and one teacher. The tradesmen satisfied local needs (shoemaker, blacksmith, stove setter, tavern keeper).

Sociological features

The village has good fundamentals for the tourist usage of the area. There is a hunting seat near the village and the fish pond of Csömödér is also very close. The old bell cage is in need of renovation.