National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Hernádnémeti
Click to zoom

Hernádnémeti

(The County of Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén)

The coat of arms referring to a red Heyduck towns (one of country Hajdu where the Heyducks settled down in the 17th century) such a time-honoured symbol which should be renewed without any changes. The oldest crested scale from 1695 illustrates a Hungarian soldier holding a sword. This scale which is almost 300 years old was renewed and accepted as an official crested scale in 1904. This is the basis of the present coat of arms and the flag.

Coat of arms: Against a blue background of the shield, there is a Hungarian soldier dressed in silver (white) with a high cap on his head standing on a green ground. He holds a sword in his right hand while he keeps left hand on his hip.

The sort history of Hernádnémeti:

The village became inhabited in the Árpád era. During the Tartar invasion of Hungary it became entirely depopulated. German colonies were settled to his area in 1254, hat is the reason why the village got its name, Hernádnémeti.

In the eras of Turkish Occupation, the village was destroyed again and all the people moved away leaving the place empty. The village was mentioned as a steep (puszta) in 1567 chronicles. People gradually moved back and later in 1596 it became a part of the Rákóczi's properties.

András Komáromy gave patents to the newly settled Heyducks (Hajdúk), and this deed of gift was confirmed by György Rákóczi II. On 10. December 1654. After the foul the Rákóczi War of Independence, Hernádnémeti belonged to Julianna Rákóczi , then several proprietors shared it. At this time, similarly to other places, many people left the village.

Charles III. granted the half of the settlement to Jakab Meskó, the other half was shared by some owners including the Almássy family, who got some land as a grant. The Meskó family became the patron of the Church as well. All what the Church, the parson, the bell ringer and the cantor had was owed to the Meskó family. They contributed to the enlarging of the old church and the school. They also built a vicarage next to the church and they gifted beneficiary lands for the Church.

Senior Jakab Meskó had the Romanesque style church built, which was later enlarged by his window, Countess Mária Fáy with two side-chapels. This way the church obtained its final cross shape. A steeple covered by red copper was built next to the church in 1883. This steeple has a sheet iron caring now.

The register of births goes back to 1768. In the era of the Meskó family the parsons of the village were András Verebélyi and Mátyás Petrik. The Reformation gained ground in Hernádnémeti in 1609, the year when the parsonage was established. In 1895 the old Gothic church was demolished and a new church which is still standing today was built. At the Reformed parsonage valuable documents and papers were kept including Ferenc Rákóczi's original deed of gift letter. Unfortunately a major part of these documents got damaged during World War II. The Reformed Church still has some significant historical values, like a communion cup form 1711 used in religion ceremonies.

In the course of the time the village has developed and grew in accordance with historical ages. Many inhabitants of the village took part and fought in the Hungarian Revolution and War of Independence of 1848-49. According to the notes taken in the register of births, two victims of the war lie in the village's cemetery, but their graves are unknown.

World War I. had 64 victims, World War II. had 113 victims out of the village's population. People lived on agriculture in the 20th century but a lot of people went to work to the factories in Miskolc.

Nowadays agriculture, the brewery and industrial units of Miskolc provide the substance for the inhabitants.

The population is 3821. The development of the village is continuous. Water, gas and telephone supply is complete. The sewerage is being built in now.