National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Hernádcéce [¤]
Click to zoom

Hernádcéce

(The County of Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén)

Shield erect, its base is curved to a point, a shape, which was widely used in the 15th century.

Shield tiercy, divided by two horizontal bendlets. The coat of arms of Hernádcéce features four charges. Chief and base gules, fess azure. In chief on the dexter side the charge of a cross or is borne encouped. On the sinister side a chalice, also or. The charges of the cross and the chalice are references to the religious devotedness of the local population. The charge of the fess refers to the natural environment of the settlement. The bend azure is a reference to the Hernád river and it also bears the charge of a fish argent (a pike), bent across two waves.

In base gules a sheaf of three ears of wheat or, complemented by two leaves. The stalks reach toward the edge of the shield. This charge is also a reference to the settlement’s natural environment, as well as to the traditional occupation of its inhabitants, that is agriculture. Shield is also topped by a sheaf of three ears of wheat or, adorned with two leaves. Mantling: on the dexter side gules and or. On the sinister side azure and argent. Below the shield a ribbon argent with the settlement’s name HERNÁDCÉCE inscribed in it.

Hernádcéce is situated in the northern part of Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County, on the bank of the Hernád river. It is located between the settlements of Vizsoly and Gibárt. The village does not have a railway station of its own. By rail Hernádcéce can be approached from the Szerencs-Hidasnémeti line by getting off at the station of Vizsoly-Korlát or Boldogkőváralja. Administratively Hernádcéce is part of the notarial district of Vizsoly. The settlement came into being in the early 1950s, when the two settlements of Felsőcéce and Alsócéce got united.

The part of the village, known as Felsőcéce (Upper Céce) was established during the first century of the reign of the House of Árpád. The name of the settlement by the name ’Cece’, a village of German inhabitants, got first mentioned in writing as early as 1219 Its church goes back to the Árpád age. The census of 1715 mentioned the settlement as an uninhabited one and it was only between 1720 and 1750 that the settlement got repopulated. The other part of the village called Alsócéce (Lower Cece) was inhabited as early as the Stone Age, a fact, which is attested by various fragments of pottery, wooden objects and bones, which were found in the vicinity of the settlement. This part of Hernádcéce got destroyed in the 16th-17th centuries.

The Calvinist church of the village goes back to the 14th century. It is a rectangular building with three flyin buttresses on the southern side of the church building. The number of Hernádcéce’s permanent inhabitants did not exceed 250 in 2000. The majority of the population lives from agriculture. Possibilities for improving the quality of local life include the utilisation of the Hernád river and its potentials to attract tourists to the area.