National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Hernád [¤]
Click to zoom

Hernád

(County Pest)

Hernád's coat-of-arms is a shield erect, quarterly, with a rounded base. The upper dexter field is barry of seven gules and argent (the Árpádian band, representing the national colours). In the upper sinister field or a nine-leaved tree of life azure. In the lower dexter field azure the full stylised figure of a downy chick or. The lower sinister field is barry of seven azure and or, the colours of the village.

It was in 1901 that the name of Hernád appeared in archeological literature, when in the periodical Archeológiai Értesítő (newsletter) an arcticle by dr László Éber about the Avar graveyard of Hernád was published.

The stamped silver-gilt belt fittings and buckles in the picture below come from a man's grave at the Avar graveyard of Hernádpuszta. The Avars decorated their stamped fittings and mountings with floral symbols, and fought with long bows and straight swords.

For the people of Hernád the recorded history of their settlement began on 7 August 1388, for it was on this day that the village was first mentioned (by the name Hernad) in a document, recording a judgement with relation to a possessory action. In those days Hernád was living the everyday life of populous villages dwelt by lesser nobles.

Such was the way of life until the Turkish domination, when Hernád's inhabitants had to learn very soon how the soldiers of "His Highness the Padishah" (i.e. the Sultan) treated the population of occupied territories, for the most important military road to Buda led right through Hernád. During the Turkish occupation Hernád and the other neighbouring villages got virtually depopulated, because those who were not killed moved to other places to avoid the Turks' violent ways of collecting tax.

Of the times following the Turkish era the local historian László Czagányi writes, "by the mid-17th century Hernád's smouldering ruins had already been covered with grass, nor could the people of Vacs stay in their barren country. In 1652 they turned to Abdi, Buda's defterdár (tax collector), applying for a pass with which they would be protected from being harrassed by the 'valiant Osman warriors' and, led by their priest, they resettled at Kőrös."

Following this, for about two centuries the grassy fields of Hernád were leased as pastures by the wealthy citizens of nearby market towns (Kecskemét, Nagykőrös). This was the so-called "land-lease period" in Hernád's history.

The area began to be repopulated in the early 19th century, but the process was very slow. Several attempts were made to bind the sandy soil, which covers much of the land. Perhaps the most important of these projects was that of the Coburgs, who planted trees on the soil of the poorest quality. The planting of acacia forests proved to be successful.

Still, there remained plenty of marshy, reedy, woody and bushy areas where outlaws could hide, among them Hernád's famous highwayman, Imre Bogár (Szabó). His life came to a very sad end, for he had barely turned twenty when Kálmán Balla, gendarme of Dabas, caught him among the sand dunes of Hernád. He was hanged in 1862. His memory is kept alive by the name Bogárdülő, which is part of Hernád.

During the 120 years that followed Hernád occasionally belonged to other settlements, while at other times it was independent.

E-mail: herkult@c3.hu