National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Heresznye [¤]
Click to zoom

Heresznye

(Somogy County)

Triangular shield erect and party per fess. In chief gules the bust of king St. Stephen is borne. The king is wearing a crown, which is flanked by a three-leaved and fructed oak branch, all or on the dexter side and a bunch of grapes in-between two leaves, all or on the sinister side. Base lozengy or and vert.

The history of Heresznye can be described as follows:

The village of Heresznye lies in the southern part of the country, not far from the Croatian border. Neighbouring towns include Barcs, Nagyatád and Csurgó.

The first written record of the settlement’s existence goes back to the time before the Mongol invasion. In the 1400s the village consisted of two parts. In the middle of the 16th century Heresznye was under the command of Miklós Zrínyi, castellan of the Szigetvár Castle, and when Szigetvár fell the Turkish troops destroyed Heresznye as well. The village got resettled only after 100 years. Due to floods of the Dráva river the settlement’s inhabitants fled to higher areas in the 18th century. The inhabitants of Heresznye spoke Croatian in this period.

It was in 1870 that the village’s first school was opened; ten years later two thirds of the settlement burnt down in a great fire. The number of inhabitants increased to 894 in 1925 and 80 % of them used Croatian as their mother tongue. The Catholic church of Heresznye was built in 1935 and it was also in the same year that the road leading from Babócsda to Heresznye was paved.

In the 2nd world war the front line was in the vicinity of the settlement, so the inhabitants were evacuated in 1944. After the war the first agricultural cooperative came into being in 1949 and from 1970 onward the settlements of Heresznye, Vízvár and Bélavár had joint local government. The schools were united and joint cooperatives were established. Since there were limited opportunities for development, in 1990 Heresznye established an independent local government of its own, Vízvár then got independent, but Heresznye and Bélavár formed a joint notarial district.

The village canteen, the doctor’s surgery as well as the sanitary rooms of the local government were completed. The building of the gas mains was completed and gas was introduced to many new homes in the village.

The village has two main streets, 50% of the village inhabitants joined the local cable television network, in spite of the fact that Heresznye is one of the ageing Hungarian settlements.

On August 20th, the feast of S. Stephen the inhabitants of the village celebrate the village day. The so-called ’village day’ is held on the last Saturday. The general practitioner as well as the nurse live T Vízvár, the nearest pharmacy is at Babócsa.

In the vicinity of the mayor’s office one can find a playground, a community centre and the library. Local children go to kindergarten and primary school to Vízvár.

In 2002 the local sewage system was established and in spring 2003 the canals began to operate. Unfortunately job opportunities are very scarce in the village. The main employer is the local BHV Co. at Vízvár, which came into being as a branch of the agricultural cooperative as well as the local government of the Village of Heresznye.