National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Heréd
Click to zoom

Heréd

(The County of Heves)

The main shape of the arm is a golden colored eagle which is much liked symbol of the Hungarian Conquest. It is a symbol of soaring freedom to do what one likes and being on real worth of ambition. "Aquila non captat muscas" Eagles do not catch flies - says the latin proverb. On the other hand eagles what they seize the keep it and will not let if free. The symbol also expresses insist and persistence on work.

Amenably to the rules of heraldry is faithfully based on traditions and the community's geographical position. On the botton of the sheild two runner wavy lines symbolize two brooks in technical terms called fess(e) as well as a green background.

The village lies at the North West Corner of Heves Country on Cserhátalj about 6 km from Hatvan.

The history of the place:

The ancients came into Hungary in 896 as two parts of the Asian 7 Hungarian tribes as Kürtgyarmat and Tarjan remains. Our forefathers called paloc people live on this country for 1041 years. The Word Heréd took it present name from national usage. The meaning of the word was a line of occupation and tools or hardly working the word was given a convenient meaning "parasite".

The name of the village is first mentioned as Hereyd in a deed of 1281. It was granted to the Nagyhatvani family in 1444. It changed hands several times. Under the pretext of Hered the village was sold in 1627 by Balazs Kamuti for Hered Dorottya's son Hoczmany Mihály. It changed hands in the next year for Napragyi Albert.

I. King Lipot recived the rank of ennoble for Hered inhabitants as same as for Nagykökényes and Hehalom inhabitants in October 16. 1690 at the famous Diploma Leopoldium. At the end of the 17th century a grant was made by I. King Lipot for Osztroluczky. After that in 1712 Zsuzsanna (Susan) the family's daughter who was married called Szirmay Ferencné sold it for the Baratnaki family. In 1740 it wasaquired permanently by the Podmaniczky barons. Beside them the Majtényi and Blakovich families took piece of property.

At the time of the Turkish occupation from 1190 until 1588 the Priests of Premonstratension Provostry Nagykökényes administred service of mind for Hered Catholics. They also built a Kind of church made of beaten mud without tower for Hered. In this space of time Hered was surrounded by a wall of fortress made of beaten mud.

In 1733 the church was restored and today's Parish was built by Hered inhabitants. At that time the church was centred at present place made by beaten mud without tower.

The Roman Catholic church (all saints'). The toda's nave of church has been built between 1777 and 1780. The old holyplace was rebuilt in 1780. The church today we can see has been built in 1779. It is free-standing frontal towered and single naved built in Baroque style at the end of the 18th century.

The house of god was repaired in 1960. The Main Altar has been made in the 18h century wich represents Maria with TRINITY prophets and apostles. The Altar of Maria wich represents Im Maculat has been made in the early 18th century. The pews of the church have ben made at the end of the 18th century in Rococo style. The vestry room dates from end of the 18th century.

Most of the inhabitants in the village are catholic religions. A part of them are Evangelical for them is a church separately:

The community Signet is from 1767: plough share with snail (spiral) lines. Its circular: Sigikem Herediense Totus Pag.

It sey plough can be founded also in many agriculture communities.

The individual worth of Hered's earliest signet is a foliated scroll with a starting point from snail line which symbolize development and optimism particulary.