National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Hercegkút [¤]
Click to zoom

Hercegkút

(Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County)

Shield erect and argent, base is rounded. As charge a rooster is borne in it, encouped and it is holding a bunch of grapes or in its beak. Above this charge the figure of a saint is borne and he is holding a child in one arm and a cross in the other.

A Brief Introduction of the Settlement

Trautsondorf, or Trauczonfalva, by its present-day name Hercegkút is considered one of the most famous traditional wine- producing settlements of the centre of the Tokaj-Hegyalja region. After the failure of Rákóczi’s War of Independence it was Prince Trautson who invited settlers from the region of Schwarzwald, near the German-French border, to the uninhabited settlement of Hercegkút. The newcomers, who had come by carts, some of them on foot, settled down int he village in 1748-49. They had had to endure many hardships until they arrived in Zemplén County. Upon arrival, first, the settlers cut down the trees and thus they were able to acquire 80 acres of plowland. In half a century the area belonging to the settlement was as large as 543 acres. After 1876 the village did not belong to the estate of Patak any longer, so Hercegkút was able to develop independently. The settlement received the Hungarianised version of its name in 1904 and the first part of the settlement’s name ’Herceg’ is to remind us of its founder. The word ’kút’ comes from the first version of the settlement’s name, Pogánykút. In 1788 local believers brought about their independent religious congregation and they erected a stone church in the village, which was then consecrated to honour the Holy Virgin.

After the Second World War – due to the German origin of the village’s settlers - the inhabitants of Hercegkút suffered a lot. The greatest ordeal of all these was the deportation of 135 inhabitants (men and women alike) on January 2, 1945 to the Soviet Union to do forced labour there. It meant a tragedy for many local families. In spite of this event the inhabitants of the village have always insisted on keeping their German identity, they have cherished their local traditions and have been celebrating their own 16 ethnic holidays, many of which had arrived from Germany, together with the settlers.

The names of the first local inhabitants and the list of their property are known to us from a register dated September 27, 1750. The settlers easily acquired the skills and the knowledge which they needed for growing and making wine. The inhabitants of Hercegkút were the most sought-after vine-dressers in the famous Tokaj-Hegyalja region. From as early as the end of the 18th century onward the wine, made from the grapes grown in the vineyards of Kőporos, Gomboshegy and Pogánykút, was stored in the multi-level wine cellars which can be found at the edge of the village. These buildings represent the best examples of folk architecture. In 1908 Hercegkút became a member in the community of the wine-producing settlements of the Tokaj-Hegyalja region.The 1970s were a golden age in the history of local viniculture. Then the village’s vineyards covered an area of 232 hectares and at Gomboshegy a large, 1,500-metre long cellar, a system of containers and a wine processing establishment were built. This complex stored a total of 20 thousand hectolitres of wine.

Due to the previously described unfavourable historical influences today the German language is spoken only by the elderly, but 15 years ago German language education was introduced in the local kindergarten. Today German is taught both in the kindergarten and in the lower classes of the primary school.

It waas the activity of the German mixed choir (established 25 years ago) which contributed largely to the cherishing of local traditions and the upkeeping of German ethnic identity. Hercegkút also has folk dance ensembles of different age groups, which have acquired good reputation at various national and international folk festivals.

The sights of Hercegkút can be enlisted as follows:

Roman Catholic Church

Kindergarten and Primary School

Pogánykút and its environs

The row of wine cellars at Gomboshegy and Kőporos

The Sárospatak-Hercegkút Educational Trail

Local cultural and religious events are as follows:

May 20: Heroes’ Day

July 6-8: Meeting of the inhabitants of Hercegkút

August 18: Zemplén Art festival

September 9: The celebration of the patron saint of the village church.

Early October: Vintage celebrations.

November 24-25: Minorities’ Meeting

From April 2000ionward the local governemnt and cooperative jointly publish Hercegkúti Hírek, a monthly periodical.

Photos:

01. Church

02. Park, with the church in

03. Kőpor cellar the background

04. Gombos cellar

05. German folk house

06. German folk house

07. School

08. Cultural Centre

09. Tourists’ lodge

10. Information board

Das Wappen von Hercegkút

(Komitat Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén)

Unser Dorf, Trautsondorf, Trauczonfalva, mit heutigem Namen Hercegkút liegt in der Mitte von Tokajhegyalja und ist eine der Weinhersteller-Gemeinden der historischen Weingegend. Nach dem Untergang des Freiheitskampfes von Franz Rákóczi dem II. wurden Neusiedler aus dem heutigen Deutschland, aus dem deutsch-französischen Grenzengebiet Schwarzwald von dem Prinz Trautson in die entvölkerte Gegend umgesiedelt, um hier zu arbeiten. Diese Neusiedlung wurde im Jahre 1748-49 durchgeführt, die Vorfahren kamen eutlang der Donau mit Wagen und zu Fuss und leideten viel bis sie Zemplén erreichten. In den ersten Jahren konnten sie nur 80 Morgen Ackerfeld vom Wald erobern, aber nach einem halben Jahrhundert betrug ihr Acker 543 Morgen. 1876 löste sich das Dorf aus dem Gut von Patak, und wurde eine selbstständige und gut entwichelnde Gemeinde. 1904 bekam das Dorf dem Namen Hercegkút zu Ehren des Prinzen Trautson und nach dem naheliegenden Brunnen "Pogánykút". 1788 gründeten die Katholischen Bewohner eine selbstständige Kirchengemeinde /Pfarre, und banten eine Kirche aus Stein, die zu Ehren der Kleingluchsfrau eingeweiht wurde.

Nach dem II. Weltkrieg erlitt die Gemeinde viele Heimsuchungen wegen ihren deutschen Herkunft. Der grö?te Schlag, der die Ganze Gemeinde betraf war das Leiden der 135 Personen, die am Z. Januar 1945 in die Soweitunion zur Zwangsarbeit verschleppt wurden, und die Tragédie der Familien. Die schwäbische Identität der Gemeinde wurde trotz allem erhalten, sie pflegte ihre Traditionen, feierte ihre Feiertage und feiert auch heute die 16 empfangene Feste, von denen einige schon in der ehemaligen Heimat berühmte Feste waren. Der ersten, am 27. september 1750 durchgeführten Volkszählung nach kennen wir die Namen und der Vermögensstand der Bewohner. Am Gebiet des Weinbanes und der Weinhandhabung eigneten sie sich sehr schnell alles an, was für die Tokajer Weingegend charakterestisch war, als Weingärtner waren sie sehr gesucht in der Gegend. Der Wein aus den Weintrauben, geerutet aug den Weinberger Koporos, Gomboshegy und Pogánykút, wurde in den Weinkellern der Kellerreiben auf beiden Enden des Dorfes schon seit Ende des XVIII. Jahrhunderts gelagert und gereift.

1908 wurde das Dorf Mitgleicht der (begrenzten) Tokajer Weingegend.

Der Weinbau in der Sieblung erreichte seine Blütezeit in dem 170-es, wann 232 Morgen Traubenpflazung angesiedelt wurde, und ein Weinkeller mit 1500 Meter länge im Besitz der LPG, ein Traubenverarbeitungs-betriels und dazu Behälter gebant wurden, dem zufolge 20000 Hektoliter Wein gelagert und gereift werden kann.

Wegen den negativen Einfluss der Bekannten historischen Ereigmissen wird die deutsche Sprache heutzutage nur noch von den abten heuten gesprochen. Seit 15 Jahren wird aber die deutsche Sprache wieder gelehrt und gelernt.

Heuten wird schon im Kindergarten und in der Grundschule deutschsprachig unterrichtet.

Die besten Vertreter der deutschen Identität sind der gemischte Nationalitätschor (Pfankreis), gegründet von 25 Jahren, und die traditionshütende Tanzgruppen verschiedener Antersklassen, die unsere Gemeinde bei Heimatlichen und internationalen kulturellen Festivalen erfolgreich vertreten.

Sehenswürdigheiten:

römsch-katholische Kirche

Grundschule und Kindergarten

Der Brunnen "Pogánykút" und seine Gegend

Kellerreiher von Gomboshegy und Koporos

Lehrpfad "Sárospatak-Hercegkút"

Kulturelle und religiöse Veranstaltungen:

- 20. Mai Tag der Helden

- 6-8. Juli Treffen der Hercegkuter

- 18. August Zempléner Kunstrage

- 9. September Kirchweih

- Anfang Oktober Aufzug bei Weinlese (?)

- 24-15. November Treffen der Nationalitäten

Seit April 2000 wird ein monatliches Informationsblatt mit dem Titel "Hercegkúti Hírek" (Hercegkuter Nachrichten" durch die Selbstverwaltung und die Genessenschaft Meransgegeben.