National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Hencida
Click to zoom

Hencida

(Hajdú-Bihar County)

The description of the coat of arms:

Shield azure, in base – which is symbolises water - two fish argent to the dexter. In fess on band vert – symbolising ploughland – plogh-barrow to the dexter is standing. Ploughshare and coulter argent, barrow or. In chief in dexter – above the wheel of the barrow – sheaf of wheat or binded twice is borne, in sinister scythe – blade argent, haft or - pointing to the dexter is borne.

The name of the village is first mentioned in 1342, in the Middle Ages it was a religious and tax collecting centre. According to a register from 1552 the village consisted of 39 households. It was populous even towards the end of the Turkish occupation of Hungary, and its social make-up was very unique. It was mostly populated by nobles having fled from other villages, some of whom were curial nobles, some nobles without land but one could also find fleeing Cumanians among the settlers. The village, which is located next to the Berettyó stream, was in the ownership of noble middle-landowner families in the 18th and 19th centuries.

The oldest seal of the village has been preserved on a receipt from 1690, with the inscription: “HENCZIDAI PECSÉT” (“SEAL OF HENCZIDA”). Its coat of arms bears a floating plough-iron, turned toward the heraldic left, bellow which a heart shape can be seen, from which two longer and in the middle a shorter stem protrudes. At the end of stems we find roses or stars. The plough-iron is a very common motif in the coat of arms of serf villages, and the three stems are probably a reference to reed, indicating the closeness of the Berettyó stream. The village still used this seal in 1809, when – based on the quality of the print – it was probably already in a very bad condition.

In 1863 the villagers commissioned Sándor Ensel Réső, who was a lawyer and heraldist, to make a new seal based on the lost original. In accordance with this the seal of the village changed after 1809. The round seal with the inscription “HENCZIDA KÖZSÉG PECSÉTJE. 1863” (SEAL OF HENCZIDA 1863) bears a coat of arms, in the lower part of which water can be seen with two fishes swimming to the heraldic right.

This element is an obvious reference to the Berettyó abounding with fish. Above the water plough land can be seen, where a wheel plough, turned to the heraldic right, stands. On the right side of the coat of arms, ears of wheat growing from the ground are located, whereas on the right side a scythe with its point turned inward, standing behind the plough can be seen. The pictures referring to the cultivation of land probably serve to emphasize the agricultural character of the village.

At the turn of the century, when the coats of arms of the Hungarian towns and villages were examined and approved, the National Village Registry Committee approved the latter coat of arms in the case of Hencida. The above symbols had to be placed upon a shield azure, the Committee, however, insisted that the ears of wheat be placed directly behind the wheel plough, because these resembled poplars on the version from 1863.

The local government had the current coat of arms of the village made, and it was approved in 1991.