National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Helesfa
Click to zoom

Helesfa

(Baranya County)

The coat-of-arms of the local authority: The shield is a combination of the pointed-base shield and the disk-escutcheon. Under the shield adjoining the pointed base a wavy scroll with edges sable with the motto: 13 HELESFA 05, that is Helesfa mentioned first in 1305. Above and on the sides of the shield a baroque mantling or and azure. On the shield a visor argent, symbolising that a castle, an Earthwork stood in the Village, defended by soldiers in the Middle Ages. On the visor a coronet with crown jewels and precious stones gules and vert. The coronet symbolises that Helesfa was a Village during the Age of Chief Árpád, as it was first mentioned in 1305. On the coronet a lion or passant, tongued, holding a sword in his raised dexter hand, symbolising the castle, the castle-hill, bravery shown in war, defending the area with a lion’s strength. The shield is party per fess in its lower third. This part is vert showing fertile land as most people lived form agriculture in the area. Water has always been present in the history of Helesfa. Pósa Field, Big Field and Berekalja used to be the big watershed area of the Village, covering the boating and fishing pond with its 100 hectares. That’s why the middle of the lower third of the shield in field vert bears a wavy lake, in the middle of the lake an island, bulrush and reed with mace. The shield is party per pale in its upper two-third. The field sinister azure bears a vine-tendril with leaves vert and rapes gules showing wine producing being typical of the area. Grapes can be found in the 1774 and 1828 seals of Helesfa as well. Above it a shining sun or ripens the grapes with its warmth.

In the field dexter gules a castle showing that an Earthwork was here in Helesfa. Above it three eight-pointed stars found in the 1828 seal charge of Helesfa.

Short history of the Village:

The name of Helesfa was first mentioned in 1315 in the form of Ellősfalva. The Village got its name from Heelus (Achilles) who lived in the second half of the 13th century, whose descendants also have it in 1343. The name is the combination of Heelus and the noun village (falu). The personal name is taken from Achilleus of the Trojan story, “falva” (village) got shortened to –fa. Its priest, named after the martyr Saint Peter, was a witness in Dinnyeberki in 1305. During the Turkish occupation the village was inhabited by Hungarians. In the middle of the 19th century Germans started to settle in and by the end of the century their proportion raised above 10% and then it slowly decreased. In 1930, together with its outer fields the village had 644 Hungarian, 9 German and 1 Croatian inhabitants. In 1970 the number of Hungarians dropped to 530.

The first seal of Helesfa was found on a document dated 1774. On the edge of the 26-millimetre diameter circle a dotted circle. The 3 millimetre wide scroll bears the following inscription: SIGILLUM PAGI HELESFA. In the seal charge on ground masoned two figures are holding a tool called “heveng”, which means that the bunches of grapes are hung on a long pole.

The second seal of the Village was found on a document dated 1828. The diameter of the seal is 26 millimetre. The 4 millimetre wide scroll bears the following: HELLESFA PECSOTTYE. At the end of the inscription three stars fill in the space. In the charge two figures or poles on their shoulders are holding a big “heveng”.