National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Hejőkeresztúr[¤]
Click to zoom

Hejőkeresztúr

(Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County)

Triangular military shield erect and azure, party per fess with a wavy bend or. In dexter chief a ploughshare argent is borne pointing downwards and with its edge turning toward the outer edge of the shield. In sinister chief a patriarchal cross argent is borne encouped. In base a raven or. Bird is turning toward the dexter and in its beak it is holding a round loaf of bread or.

The tinctures azure and or as well as the patriarchal cross as charge are references to the fact that in the 18th century the village was settled by Greek Orthodox Ruthenian inhabitants. The raven as charge comes from the coat-of-arms of the Pauline monastery of Sajólád, since the inhabitants of the settlement paid their taxes to the Paulines for over three hundred years. The charge of the ploughshare was taken over from the old seal of the settlement.

As it is attested by archelogical finds the whole area as well as the settlement itself was originally inhabited by Scythians. Part of its area went by the name String or Istring, a word, which is related to the Old Slavonic word of strega. The area itself belonged to the property of István Ernye and his sons, then it was turned over to Mikó of the Bél clan. It is very likely that the area covered only one part of present-day Hejőkeresztúr, which also existed at that time but it was not a royal possession and it did not get mentioned either. The farmstead of Isztring bordered on the settlements of Egyházasnyék, Aranyos, Poga and Mohi and until the late 16th century it was regularly mentioned in writing. Consequently, this setlement was not identical with Hejőkeresztúr. Instead, it can be identified as one-time Noszkad, a settlement, which existed here as early as the beginning of the 13th century and in 1222 it got mentioned in the register of Várad as well by the name Nohcodi. Noszkad (Noszkod) was oiginally a person's name, which got mentioned in writing as early as the 13th century. As it was customary at that time settlements got most often their names after persons. This is how the geographical name of Noszkad came into being from the name Nozkod. In the 13th century the boundaries of the settlement were already known: the sandy bank of the Heyew (Hejő) river in the east, the shallows of Hosszúverem (Hwzyverem), Kengyelér (Kengeler), which are very likely to have meant the present-day Kengyeltó, the valley of Telekérfog (Thelukerfoka), Forrodvíz and the road leading from Emőd to Mihi. The settlement went by the name of Nozkad as late as the 14th century, although the name Nozkadkeresztúr also occurred in the same period. Part of this settlement was sold by Ülmos Boldi to the sons of Mikós Fony, the name Noszkad (Nazkoth) was kept and mentioned as the name of a property in the 15th century as well, but the settlement's name itself was changed to (Hejő)keresztúr (Kerezthwr).

The settlement of Kersztúr was named after its church, which was built to honour the Holy Cross. The local priest was called de Sancta Cruce and the inhabitants of the settlement paid 9-10-12 pence as papal tythe. The village became the property of the Pauline monastery of Sajólád and in 1392 the monks' serfs living at Mohi and Zsolca were exempted from tax paying by Queen Mary. King Sigismund gave them further privileges and excepted them from the legal superiority of castellans and county officers and had them supervised by the monks themselves and by their worldly representatives. This privilege was not popular with the castellans and tax collectors, so the monarchs had to put their decree into writing on several occasions. Military leaders often demanded free lodgings for their troops int he village and this is why King Mathias banned this paractice, too. The monks suffered a great wrong when László Hennyng had a watermill built on the Hejő river in the vicinity of the village.

In the 16th century Hejőkeresztúr was still in the possession of the Pauline monks and is remained there until it got destroyed by the Turks. At that time various sources mentioned the settlement as Keresztwr or Kerestwr, and since the village of Mohi had been destroyed as well, the settlement went by the name Mohi Kerestwr, Mohy Kereztwr, Mohy Kerezthwr, Mohi Kerstwr or Mohy Keoreozthur.

Although it was uninhabited the Paulines reclaimed their former property in the 17th century and they remained the landowners until the order was dissolved.

As part of the area occupied by the Turks the inhabitants of Hejőkeresztúr paid their taxes to Hatvan, but later the settlement got depopulated. After the expulsion of the Turks the village had to be rebuilt and resettled. In the 18th century Ruthenian settlers came from the highlands of Upper Hungary. The inhabitants' religious affiliation changed, too, since the majority of the new settlers belonged to the Greek Orthodox Church.

In 2003 the number of local inhabitants is 1140 at Hejőkeresztúr. Due to the nearby ponds of gravel pits the village is also frequented by the lovers of watersports. The easy accessibility of Hejőkeresztúr as well as the clean waters of its nearby ponds attract an increasing number of tourists and visitors every year.