National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Hegyhátsál [¤]
Click to zoom

Hegyhátsál

(Vas County)

Hegyhátsál’s coat of arms is a shield erect with a rounded base, the sinister top pointed. It bears: azure, a lion rampant argent.

Hegyhátsál is an old settlement, the first documented mention of which dates from the mid-14th century. Since the Middle Ages it was a village inhabited by lesser nobles, therefore it is interesting that so far no documents have been found that would refer to the use of a village seal either in the archival material relating to socage dating from the rule of Empress Maria Theresa (1740-80) or in the administrative documents from the time of Emperor Joseph II (1780-90).

According to the literature in sigillography and heraldry, each village had a coat of arms of their own or at least a village seal ornamented with some kind of sign.

The first document related to Hegyhátsál and endorsed with a seal dates from 1858. The elliptical seal with a diameter of 20 by 26 mm can be seen in the authentication clause of a record of a field survey, under the name and signature of György Molnár, leader of the community of wine-growers. This engraved seal had an ornamental decoration in the upper part and a barry-bendy decoration in the lower. In the middle it bore the word ’Sal’ in italics.

This seal was in use until 1882 when, presumably upon the orders of the district magistrate, several villages in the district of Körmend exchanged their old seals for new ones. The village of Hegyhátsál had a seal made with the legend HEGYHÁT-SAÁL KÖZSÉG VASMEGYE with the date 1882 in the middle.

The above-described lack of a seal is rather unusual because in the case of a curial village inhabited by lesser nobles it must have been a rarity that the settlement had no coat of arms. However, the fact that the inhabitants were nobles, gave justification to the idea that the new coat of arms should bear the lion, for the Magyar nobility usually had the lion borne in their coats of arms as the symbol of heroism and generosity. This decision was further backed by the unfortunate fact that there is no trace of the medieval coat of arms of the Sály family, who stemmed from the village and also gave their names to it. As a result, we have no reference or information with regard to a historical symbol either.

We recommend that the tinctures should be black (sable) for the shield and silver (argent) for the lion because, as has been pointed out, we have no information whatsoever about the village coat of arms with regard to symbols or tinctures. However, the curial past of the village makes the use of arms bearing a lion justifiable. Moreover, there is another point of view, which makes the suggestion worth considering. The black-silver tinctures would make the coat of arms of Hegyhátsál unique and clearly distinguishable from the arms of all the other settlements because, as far as we know, no other village in Vas County has a coat of arms like this one.