National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Hegyhátmaróc [¤]
Click to zoom

Hegyhátmaróc

(Baranya County)

The settlement’s coat of arms can be described as follows:

Triangular shield erect and azure. In base a triple mound vert, in which a ploughshare and a coulter are borne, both argent and encouped; with their edges both tools are turning outward. Above the mound a stag trippant and or, flanked by a heraldic lily or in the shield’s upper sinister corner. On both sides shield is enframed by two palm branches, with their stalks borne crosswise. Below the shield a tripartite ribbon or is borne with the settlement’s name HEGYHÁTMARÓC inscribed in it in capital letters sable. Before and after the settlement’s name an ornamental dot.

The village of Hegyhátmaróc is situated in the northern, northeastern part of Baranya County. In geographical sense the settlement is part of the Völgység area of the Hegyhát region of Baranya. Its neighbouring settlements include Szárász in the northeast, Tófű in the east, Szászvár in the southeast, Vékény and Szárász in the south, Köblény in the southwest, Alsómocsolád in the west, Bikal and Egyházaskozár in the northwest. The settlement has no railway connection, it is accessible on public roads only from Egyházaskozár in the north. Hegyhátmaróc is a cul-de-sac settlement, the road comes to an end in the village.

The area of Hegyhátmaróc is part of the Transdanubian hills, which are located in the vicinity of the northern slopes of the Mecsek range. This area is crisscrossed by several streams; the Hábi stream is the nearest and the most significant in the vicinity of Hegyhátmaróc. Geomorphologically the shaping of the surface of the area started in the (Pleistocene) glacial epoch, followed by landslides in the Holocene. There are many valleys ad plateaus in the area and all the valleys are of west-east direction..The formation of loess began in the Neo-pleistocene epoch; the surface ascended, then tilted. Deep-lying alleys are typical in the Völgység region.

Local climate is favourable for agricultural activities. Summers are warm and winters are mild. Rainfall is low and oceans also affect the climate. The area itself represents a transition toward the higher areas in the north. Soil is varied in the vicinity of the village, the most typical one is the muddy brown forest soil. Local fields yield average crop. Various agricultural plants are grown in these conditions.

The village of Hegyhátmaróc is located at the height of 200-220 metres above sea level and the geological-lithological conditions of the settlement are extremely favourable. The plateaus descend toward the south, thus ideal conditions exist in the area for plants which grow well only in warmer climatic conditions.

The name of the settlement first occurred in documents as Maroth in 1339. The word ’Maróc’ comes from either a Slavic word or a person’s name. The anterior constituent of the settlement’s name, the word ’Hegyhát’ is a reference to a former district of Baranya County, the district of Hegyhát, which used to exist in the area before 1950. The district of Hegyhát was also called Mecsekhát district or Hegymag district.

In the period of the Turkish Conquest the village got depopulated, then in the period of the wars, which liberated the area from the Turks, Serbs settled down in the deserted village. At the end of the 17th century Hegyhátmaróc got depopulated again. In the period of Rákóczi’s war of independence southern Slavs moved to the village together with some Hunagrian families. It was around 1730 that German settlers came from the Black Forest (Schwarzwald) region and the former inhabitants moved to other settlements. From the mid-18th century onward Hungarian speaking inhabitants also came and stayed in more significant numbers, but it was only toward the end of the 18th century that Hegyhátmaróc uninterruptedly had a stable Hungarian population. In 1930 the village had 78 Hungarian and 454 German inhabitants, while in 1970 the number of the Hungarian poipulation was 276 and the number of Germans went down to 96.

The village chapel was erected in 1820 to honour Prince St. Emerich and in 1937 it was beautifully restored. The family tomb of the famous Puchner baronial family, one -time owners of the settlement, can be found in the village cemetery.