National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Hedrehely [¤]
Click to zoom

Hedrehely

(County Somogy)

The coat-of-arms is a heater erect with sloping sides and a pointed base. It bears: azure, party per fess by a bar wavy argent. In the upper field a triple-towered embattled castle wall with loopholes and an open gate with a portcullis or. In the lower field a two-leaved bunch of grapes between two Turkey oak branches crossed in saltire and fructed with an acorn each, all or. Across the top a royal crown verdured or.

The history of the settlement.

According to archeological evidence, Hedrehely might have existed as early as the Roman times. The first written mention of the village can be found in the papal tithe register of 1332-7, which indicates that the settlement had its own parish. In 1339 and 1364 the name was mentioned by documents as Hedruch. In 1339 King Károly Róbert, in exchange for other lands, gave the village to the brothers Miklós (Nicholas), Péter and Henrik (Henry) of the Héder clan, the ancestors of the Tamási clan.

In 1403 Hedrehely was the venue of a meeting held by feudal lords plotting against King Sigismund. They also issued a proclamation to the people of the nation.

In 1443 Palatine Lőrincz Hédervári became the owner of Hedrehely, which at the time enjoyed the privileges of a market town. In the Middle Ages the settlement had several landlords and was the subject of many lawsuits, donations and inheritance proceedings.

The Franciscan monastery was first mentioned in 1531.

During their campaign of 1551-2, the Turks captured and ransacked the town. The Turkish tax register of 1554 listed seven houses, while in 1564 fourteen homes were registered.

In 1715 there were eighteen registered households at Hedrehely, which then was owned by the Treasury.

The Calvinist Church was established as early as the second half of the 16th century, the first written evidence of which dates back to 1643. The oldest Calvinist church was built in Böczör-dűlő, the second one was erected in 1771 in the minister's courtyard, whereas the present building was constructed in 1898 in the style of Gothic revival.