National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Township of Harta [¤]
Click to zoom

Harta

(Bács-Kiskun County)

The coat of arms of the township of Harta is a shield erect and vert, diagonally party per fess with a wavy bend argent. In the upper sinister corner the charge of the 24-beamed sun rayonnant and or is borne, in the upper dexter corner an ear of wheat, also or. (5 grains and 5 ears of corn). In the centre an anchor is borne, also or.

The tincture vert in Harta’s coat of arms symbolises the agricultural characteristics of the settlement. The ear of corn in the settlement’s coat of arms is a reference to the main agricultural crop grown by the local inhabitants. The wavy silver bend, which divides the shield into two, is the symbol of the River Danube, since Harta is located on its bank. The ancestors of the settlement’s present-day inhabitants arrived on rafts on the Danube and settled down in the area as early as 1723. The golden anchor refers to the fact that before the first world war there were many water mills on the Danube in the vicinity of Harta and this charge also means shipping meant the main source of livelihood for the local inhabitants. It is also the symbol of the fame and the respect for the local shipmen all over the area.

Harta is a township of 4,000 inhabitants and it is located on the left bank of the river Danube. It lies at a distance of 100 kilometres south of Budapest. In the Roman age the settlement was part of Pannonia, a Roman province, then during the reign of King Mathias and the members of the Jagello dynasty the settlement was fortified with an earthwork, then, in the period of the Turkish conquest it got destroyed.

The first new settlers came in 1723 from the German Rhein region, from the provinces of Hessen-Pfalz and Württemberg and they settled down on the Harta estate of landowner Pál Ráday. Owing to the ambitious and enthusiastic work of the new settlers in 1877 Harta was desribed as a ’pretty wealthy and populous village, inhabited by Hungarians as well as by Germans.’

The end of the second world war brough very sad changes. 287 German families were expatriated and 243 Hungarian families were resettled in Harta. This period was extremely hard for all people, for the expatriates as well as for the newcomers. The initial hardsips were followed by a period of hard joint work and reconciliation. This change gave a new impetus to the development of Harta as well.The churches are the mostt beautiful buildings of the settlement. The Lutheran church was built in 1798, the Calvinist church in 1838 and the Roman catholic one in 1943.

In addition to the church buildings Harta has two main attrctions, the river bank and the Puszta. A bridge was built to connect the village with the small island in the river, which lies at a distance of 1 kilometre from the settlement. The island .offers a picturesque view of the largest bend of the Danube of the Great Plain area. At the other end of the settlement one can find the unique area of the saline Kiskunság puszta. On the island of Felsőzátony there are rows of summer homes and holiday cottages, camping sites and nice spots, ideal for angling and hunting.

Relics of the past and the artefacts of traditional folk art can be found in the local history museum. The most famous pieces on display include pieces of traditionalé painted furniture and folk costumes of the local German ethnicity. Harta has twin settlements abroad including Lossburg and Hammerbrücke from Germany and Anse from France.

Archeological finds unearthed in the vicinity of the nearby hills srelate Harta to the neolithic period, the Bronze Age and some later periods as well, the age of the Sarmata and Avar peoples as well as the Middle Ages. The finds of the Freifelt cemetery, which go back to the period of the Hungarian Conquest are well known by academics who work in the field of ancient Hungarian history.

Die Grossgemeinde Harta mit 4000 Einwohnern liegt auf der linken Seite der Donau, 100 km südlich von Budapest. In der Römerzeit gehörte es zur Provinz Pannonien, in der Zeit von König Matthias und der Jagellos war es ein erdverschanzter Ort. Während der Türkenherrschaft wurde Harta völlig vernichtet.

Im Jahre 1723 sind die ersten Familien aus dem Rheinland, aus Hessen-Pfalz und aus Württemberg angekommen und haben das Dorf auf dem Besitz der Ráday-Familie neugegründet. Dank ihrer fleißigen Arbeit wurde Harta im Jahre 1877 als ein „gepflegtes, wohlhabendes und dicht bevölkertes deutsch-ungarisches Dorf’ gekennzeichnet.

Das Ende des zweiten Weltkrieges brachte traurige Veränderungen. 287 deutschsprachige Familien mussten das Dorf verlassen und an ihrer Stelle sind 243 ungarische Familien angekommen. Die Menschen, die ihre Heimat verlassen und weg- oder herkommen mussten, haben schwere Zeiten erlebt. Nach den anfänglichen Schwierigkeiten erfolgte die Versöhnung und die neueste Entwicklung des Dorfes hat begonnen. Besonderheiten des Dorfes sind drei Kirchen: die evangelische (1798), die reformierte (1838) und die katholische aus dem Jahr 1943.

Die natürlichen Schönheiten des Dorfes sind das Donauufer und die Puszta. Eine Brücke führt vom Dorfe zur 1 km weit gelegenen Donauinsel. Von hier aus bietet sich ein herrliches Panorama auf den grössten Donaubogen der Tiefebene. Der geschützte Wald, die Wochenendhäuser, die Zeltmöglichkeiten sind ideal für die Erholung und die Angler und Jäger können in der ganzen Umgebung ihre Leidenschaft ausüben. Am anderen Ende des Dorfes beginnt die eigenartige, flache kleinkumanische Salzsteppe.

In der Ortsgeschichtliche Sammlung können die Besucher das Leben und die Arbeit, die berühmten bemalten Möbel aus Harta und die im deutschsprachigen Gebiet einzigartige Volkstracht unserer Vorfahren kennen lernen- Partnergemeinden von Harta sind Lossburg und Hammerbrücke in Deutschland sowie Anse in Frankreich.

Die Ausgrabungen an den Hügeln ums Dorf brachten wichtige Funde aus dem Neolitikum, aus der Bronzezeit und neue Kenntnisse über Sarmaten und Awaren sowie über das Mittelalter zu Tage. Das Dorf wurde wegen der Schätze aus der Landnamezeit im Friedhof „Freifelt” historisch berühmt.