National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Halmaj [¤]
Click to zoom

Halmaj

(Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County)

Triangular military shield erect and gules with two bends argent. In shield the charge of a fish is borne or, its body is rounded. Shield is placed on a mound vert. Supporters –also on a green mound – two griffins sable and or; the mythical birds with their front feet are raising fans of coloured feather as crests.

The settlement’s coat of arms can be interpreted as follows:

The shield, which is decorated with the two bends argent is a reference to the old coat of arms of Abaúj County and thus it is a reminder of the administrative area where the village of Halmaj belonged and belongs. The charge of the fish was taken over from the old seal of the settlement, but it was assigned an aesthetically more favourable position in Halmaj’s new coat of arms. The griffins as supporters go back to the Medieval coat of arms of the Bor family of Halmaj. The mounds in the base and below the supporters are references to the settlement’s name.

The history of the settlement can be described as follows:

The name of the settlement -in the form ’Holmoy’- first occurred in a document of 1234.This Medieval document contains the list of those settlements, which were bestowed by King Endre II on Demeter of the Aba clan, who was one of his followers. On the ceremony of bestowal János, a member of the Both family of Halmaj also participated in the role of the king’s representative.

Palatine Miklós Garai also mentioned the village in a document of 1406. It was in 1292 that László, the son of Jakab of the Both family of Halmaj and Lőrinc, son of Baylud of Halmaj as well as Bálint, son of Bagyiszló of Halmaj appeared in front of the Chapter of Eger and the former parties officially announced that they would lease half of their property at Halmaj to the man called Bálint.

As it is attested by the description of this event the village of Halmaj in this period was the property of the Halmaj family who named themselves after the village.

There is also a folk anecdote which explains the settlement’s name. According to the folk version in the period of the reign of King St. Stephen the inhabitants of the settlement lived from processing fish and this is why they began to call their settlement ’hal máj’, that is fish liver.

The truth in connection with the settlement’s name is that the word Halmaj derives from the diminutive form of the word ’halom’, that is mound. (Halom alja).

As it is attested by the papal tithe register of 1332-34 Halmaj had a church as early as that period. Unfortunately no further record exists in relation to Halmaj’s history in the late Middle Ages.

In the last third of the 15th century the members of the Bor and Bocsárdi families got mentioned as owners of the settlement.

Due to a flood the village got destroyed in 1813.

The most ancient part of the settlement is the semicircular group of houses, which were built around the village church. On today’s Kossuth Street craftsmen used to live and work and the traditional name of the street, Mestersor is a reference oto this fact.Contemporary Széchenyi Street was once called Proletár Street, since it used to be the dwelling place of the poorest servants. The second world war meant much suffering for the inhabitants of Halmaj as well. Especially the last phase of the war, the fall of 1944 demanded much sacrifice and inflicted great damage. Even civilians suffered a lot; several houses were destroyed and mines killed many domesetic animals. As many as 52 village buildings were seriously damaged.

The last German troops left the village of Halmaj on December 13, 1944.

The end of the war meant a radical change in the life of the village of 1050 inhabitants. Land reform was put into action in 1945 and in Halmaj 820 inhabitants had no land property at all.

Village councils were established in 1950 and adminstrative districts were brought about all over the country in 1966. The inhabitants, who were just about to sober from the shocking war experiences, were first enthusiastic about the land reform, but later they realised that the strips of land they had been given were too small to support their families. (They lacked cattle and agricultural machines as well). About 50% of working age people left the village and found employment in Miskolc and in other industrial centres and larger settlements.

In order to cope with the increased administrative tasks a new Village Hall was erected in 1970 at 1 Kossuth Street.

On April 15, 1973 autonomous local governments were formed by the associated villages of Hernádkércs, Nagykinizs and Szentistvánbaksa; on the other hand the villages of Csobád, Léh, Késmárk and Rásonysápberencs administratively joined Halmaj. Thus the local council of Halmaj took care of a total of 5180 people, out of whom only 1610 lived actually in Halmaj.

In 1966 a new three-classroom school was built in the village and in 1970 the school was enlarged with another two classrooms. It was also the period when the local kindergarten opened, which catered for 70 children.

The village Health Centre and two apartments for the medical staff were built in 1971. In 1979 a football ground and dressing rooms for the players were established in the village in order to promote the inhabitants’ healthy and active lifestyle.

The central location of the village of Halmaj, its good accessibility and uninterrupted development attracted many young people from the Hernád valley and from the Uplands to Halmaj, many whom settled down in the village. From 1970-1989 four new streets were established in the village and more than one hundred new houses were built. Modern Halmaj can boast many nice and convenient homes.

In order to prevent floods a system of dams was built around the village from 1982-1984.

In 1996 the gas mains were laid down and along Rákóczi Street a 500-metre bicycle path was established.

Following the elections of 1990 the former system of local councils ceased to exist, and, instead, local governments came into being. This was the period when a joint notarial district was established by the villages of Halmaj, Kiskinizs and Csobád as well.