National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Hajdúhadház
Click to zoom

Hajdúhadház

(County Hajdú-Bihar)

The coat-of-arms is a shield erect, party per pale, the base curved to a point. The dexter field bears: gules, a man-faced moon descrescent fesswise argent, above it a dexter arm vambraced in pale or, holding a scimitar argent. The sinister field bears: azure, a six-pointed star or in base, above it a castle tower argent with three openings (loopholes), two projections in the upper part, and ending in three points. Across the shield top an open helm affronty argent gorged with a crown or; and for the crest, issuant from the crown, a demi Haiduk warrior habited azure, the dexter hand holding a drawn scimitar argent, the sinister hand resting on the hip. Mantling: dexter: azure and or, sinister: gules and argent.

The name Hajdúhadház presumably refers to the earliest architectural feature of the settlement, that is, to the fact that it consisted of six houses at one time, an arrangement of which it was not the sole example in the region. The name of the neighboring Téglás is also to be noted for the same reason. Irrespective of the above, folk etymology related the settlement's name to the Hungarian word had (army) and interpreted it as 'a house dwelt by the military' (ház means house in Hungarian). What makes this popular word etymology important is that it appears in the settlement's coat-of-arms. The interpretation is further supported by the fact that by István Bocskai's charter issued at Korpona on December 12, 1605, the settlement became a Haiduk town and later an important centre of the Haiduk district; thus it really did become the home of armed men.

The town's seal with armorial bearings - presumably the first one - was made in 1620, and is today known from a document of 1631. Unfortunately, only a fragment of the legend is legible ( ... peceti 1620), but the print of the charge itself is clearly visible: on the sinister side, above a moon decrescent a vambraced arm is borne in pale, holding a sword, whereas on the dexter side, above a six-pointed star a castle tower-like structure can be seen with three openings below, two windows in the upper part, and ending in three points. The appearance of the castle as a charge in the coat-of-arms is an obvious reference to the fact that in 1620 the popular interpretation of the settlement's name as 'the house of the military' (i.e. the castle) already existed. In the late 17th century or at the beginning of the 18th at the latest, this charge appeared blazoned in a shield, across the top of which there was a helmet borne affronty with mantling issuing from it. Also issuing from the helmet a demi-warrior was borne, holding in the right hand a drawn sword, and resting the left hand on the hip. This charge has practically remained unchanged since then.

In 1850 Hajdúhadház had a new seal made, on which the legend N.(emes) Sz.(abad) Hajdú Hadház Város Pecsétje 1850 [Seal of the Noble Free Haiduk Hadház Town] encircles a considerably modified charge. The heraldically right (dexter) side of the shield party per pale bears a remarkably different building with a rounded gate below and two small windows above. Issuing from the top there are five slender towers, or rather poles. The heraldically left (sinister) field bears an arm holding a sword, but the way of depiction is different from that on the earlier seal, as long as the half moon has been replaced by a crown, on which the arm rests, this time holding a scimitar. On the metal seal made in 1857, inside the legend N. Sz. Hajdú Hadház Város Pecsétje 1857., the same charge (i.e. the one described above) can be seen; the only difference is that in the dexter field on the castle tower-like building the five slender towers have been replaced by two towers and three flags. Another metal seal was made in 1901, the charge of which is identical with the one on the seal of 1850; the only difference is that in the dexter field the arm resting on the crown is borne against a red background (field gules), whereas in the sinister field the castle-like structure is blazoned against a blue background (field azure).

In addition, there are further seal charges as well; one of them bears five fire-brands instead of the five slender towers, whereas in another one the five slender towers are replaced by five Turk's heads impaled.

Due to the above-described uncertainties, in 1928 the exact description of the town's coat-of-arms was postponed by the National Village Register Committee, which at the same time ordered the town of Hajdúhadház and the vice comes of Hajdú comitat to submit all the existing old seals and do archival research. As far as we know, this never happened or, if it did, it did not yield a result. Nevertheless, on the basis of the existing data, the charge can be described satisfactorily.