National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Hajdúböszörmény [¤]
Click to zoom


(The County of Hajdú-Bihar)

Although the town's origin goes back to the Magyar conquest of Hungary, its earliest written mention was dated no earlier than 1325. By 1410, the settlement had already been raised to the rank of market town. It later became the centre of the Haiduk region, even if it was not listed in Prince Bocskai's deed of gift, in which he settled down the warriors of his Haiduk army. The reason for this absence was that Bocskai's Haiduk warriors only settled here in 1609, following a contract made with Gábor Báthory, whereby they exchanged with Böszörmény the town of Kálló, which had originally been bestowed on them. The town, as the largest Haiduk settlement, practically took over the charges of the coat-of-arms adorning the deed of gift of Korpona; the only difference is that the two supporters, Samson and Hercules, were omitted.

The town's earliest shield charge, not unusually in the case of other settlements either, has come down to us on the seal, even if the oldest, 17th century seal known from prints was never found. The legend of the 18th century seal bears the following: SIGIL: PRIV: HAID: OPPIDI: BÖSZÖRMÉNY. (Seal of the privileged Haiduk town of Böszörmény)

According to the above description, the seal charge is practically identical with that of the Haiduk's corporate coat-of-arms. The description and interpretation goes as follows:

Shield oval; in field azure a basilisk with the tail rolled around the neck, the belly charged with a cross or. By the wording of the deed of gift this motif refers to the alliance between Bocskai and the Haiduk, for the basilisk was presented to the Haiduk warriors by the prince from the coat-of-arms of his own family; ultimately, its origin can be traced back to the motif of the Báthory coat-of-arms. In the base a dexter arm vambraced argent, holding a scimitar of the Hungarian type. Above the arm a pistol discharging, surmounted on the dexter by flames mixed with smoke, on the sinister by a man-faced sun which, according to the deed of gift, is just about to rise. Across the shield top an open helmet ensigned with a coronet; issuant from it a demi-Haiduk warrior holding in the dexter hand a scimitar, in the sinister hand a dagger, his head adorned with a laurel wreath. The deed of gift provides a clear explanation as to the meaning of the symbols, which is an unambiguous reference to the battle of Álmosd (15 October 1604), where Bocskai and the Haiduk fought side by side for the first time, and which exerted a decisive influence on the dénouement of the war of independence.

In addition to the emphasis laid on military virtues, the flame and the sun refer to the fact that the victory, won by the brilliant execution of tactics specific to Haiduk warfare, was completed at sunrise by the Haiduk setting the German camp on fire.

This coat-of-arms was in official use on the town's seals until as late as 1944. In the 1970s it was changed in an iresponsible way, but recently it was brought back into official use again. The oldest, colourful emblazoning of the coat-of-arms is from 1793, and it originally adorned the sunk panelled ceiling of the reformed church at Bocskai Tér. Today it can be found on the wall of the church. The large-sized painted coat-of-arms owned by the Hajdúsági Múzeum (Museum of the Haiduk Region) also comes from the 18th century.


1. The statue made by István Kiss, symbolizing the seven Haiduk Towns (1986)

2. Town Centre, Bocskai Square

3. The Town Hall (built in 1905-1906)

4. The romantic style building of the Grammar School (built in 1864)

5. Memorial to the victins of Word War II, made by Imre Varga (1991)