National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Hajdúbagos
Click to zoom

Hajdúbagos

(Hadú-Bihar County)

The description of the coat of arms

The coat of arms of Hajdúbagos is known from an earlier seal. In the shield two lion rampants holding a pole of a dovetailed war ensign turning in sinister. On the top of the shield is a valour’s open helm, and on the top crown or. The helm holders azure and or in dexter and in sinister argent and gules. The beginning of the existence of the coat of arms is: 01.09.1993.

Short description of Hajdúbagos

It is located in the middle of Hajdú-Bihar County, 17 km-s from Debrecen and 3 km-s from road No. 47. Its train and coach traffic service are satisfactory. The settlement had already been inhabited in the Neolithic age. The first written documents are from 1214. In 1605 István Bocskai, authorized it with Heyducks’ towns’ rights (a Heyducks’ town is one of the six towns of Hajdú county, where the Heyducks settled down in the 17th century). Its art relic church was probably built in 1483. Since then it has been rebuilt several times. Besides the church there are several houses, which safeguard the traditions of the villages turning into bourgeois towns in the Hungarian Great Plains. The characteristics of the town houses of curial type are the Baroque-like gables, the stone-framed barns and granaries, facing to the street, built together with stone gates are very characteristic. There are traditional folk motifs on many houses, built in the second half of the 19th century, just like; mud walls, thatch roofs, knottings.

From the points of view of cultural history and literature it is worth mentioning that the famous professor of the Debrecen Protestant College, Miklós Sinay (1730-1808) was born here. To the memory of him a plaque was placed on the wall of the church. Mihály Csokonai Vitéz (1759-1831), a famous Hungarian poet frequently visited this place. A memorial banch in the churchyard, commemorates the 200th anniversary of his birth. Ferenc Kazinczy (1759-1831), another famous Hungarian poet and language reformer visited Borbála Molnár, a popular in her time poetess in Hajdúbagos several times. Márton Domby (1778-1864) a writer-pastor’s life is also connected to the village.

The names of the last three people are commemorated on one plaque on the wall of the Hajdúbagos reformed church. The biographical and history of literature research show that the young poet, Sándor Petőfi visited Hajdúbagos with his theatre company. In the reformed church a memorial copper-plate, placed on the finely decorated chief justice’s chair informs that once, Sándor Petőfi was also seated there.

Loving and supporting arts are traditional in the village. The ‘White Galery’ was opened in 1998, where the permanent exhibition of Imre Fehér, a Hajdúbagos artist can be visited.

Considering the surroundings, Hajdúbagos is a characteristic lined village. The location of its wide main street is north-south. It was formed in the Middle Ages along the (trade and post) road going from Várad to Tokaj. The street widens into a square in the neighbourhood of the reformed church, in the one-time village centre.

In the northern part of the village there is a 251 hectares big (in a state of nature) lawn, which is the home and shelter for a mole-rat population. These animals are rare and almost extinct in Hungary. Mole-rats orientate with the help of their nose and their bristles in the dark hollows and corridors. With the help of the bristles they may feel even the minor temperature differences.

For the lovers of nature and ecotourism visiting the reserve and the wildlife living there provides an unforgettable experience. In the neighbourhood of the reserve there is a guest house, which can easily be changed for hosting people and for tourists.